Time Machine equivalent in Windows?

sgould

Registered
Not sure if this is the right place to post this.

My friend has asked me for advice. They have a Dell laptop. The internal disk has failed and she has sent it off for repair and recovery. She has never made a backup since week one, 18 months ago. Largely because it's a hassle.

She has seen how Time Machine works on my computer system and has asked if there is anything for a Windows machine that would do the same thing for her.

Any advice or suggestions?

I'd love to give you advice, but been working with pc's for 15 years and owning a mac: windows and pc sucks! I hope your friend gets good advice though!

What version of Windows? I ask because Windows 7 does have a built in backup system. It backs up all the user data.

Sorry guys! Just found these replies and somehow they slipped through the net....

I don't know what version of Windows she uses, but it's immaterial now. They,ve bought aMac and a hard drive for the Time Machine!! :)

Each version of Windows I've used has had a backup and restore. Unfortunately, IIRC, they versions tend to be specific to the version of Windows. This becomes an issue because if you lose an XP or Vista system and try to restore with Windows 7 you are out of luck.

Personally I would look in to 3rd party software for Windows to control backups.

Back