Time Machine Speculation

Does anyone know how big does your backup hard drive have to be for Time Machine to work effectively?

.. how big does your backup hard drive have to be ..
Is this really a concern at the current sales price of external hard drives?

In my opinion, I would not want timemachine to backup every instant of my mac life. However, a simple backup, say daily, would suit my purpose.

The fact about backups is that they must be EASY, this means I do nothing and can recover a file I saved for over 24hours with ease.

I consider silly things such as having to connect a hard drive a hassle. I would like timemachine to find the available harddrive I have on wifi and use that one. No fiddling with cables.

Is this really a concern at the current sales price of external hard drives?

Yes.

Whenever I get a new hard drive, I tend to quickly fill them up with movies music's and stuff... it gets pretty tricky when you already have several already large hard drives laying around your desk, and now I am gotta to buy a copy for each of them? (Or a really big one that can backup all data I already have... but again, if I can buy such big hard drive, I might buy another and fill it up...)

Well ok, maybe it is my problem... given the price of hard drives these days, I tend to keep a lot of "rubbish", every-time I as about to delete something, I have the feeling of, "I have so much space anyway so I'll just put them somewhere else."

.. tend to keep a lot of "rubbish", every-time I am about to delete something, I have the feeling of, "I have so much space anyway so I'll just put them somewhere else." ..
I know the very feeling. It's all about the difference between storing and hoarding.

Whatever the system, if you have too much data, you have too much data. Which means that recovery, in whatever manner, becomes .. difficult.

Back