time machine

mjbjohn

Registered
How do I set up Time Machine to automatically back up to 2 different back up volumes.
I would like to set it up so that I have an emergency back up drive that I can take with me when leaving the office.
Thanks

You don't. Sadly, Apple hasn't really updated Time Machine yet since its introduction with Leopard 1.5 years ago. Clearly, to be considered a true option, Time Machine has to evolve, offer more options etc.

In my view, it's a really good system for what it does. It's so good, in fact, that good tools like LaCie's SilverKeeper have not seen updates for 10.5, that one example is only available for 10.4 and earlier. Seems to me like the quality of Time Machine is killing off competition, which hinders progress.

Sadly, we probably won't see any feature upgrades for Time Machine soon. At least AFAIK, 10.6 doesn't bring much in that respect. And since it's considered a system feature, a big system upgrade like Snow Leopard _would_ be the place for its evolution. After 10.6 is released sometime this Summer, we'll probably have to wait another 1.5-2.0 years until another big cat arrives. Which could mean Time Machine _won't_ evolve for all that time. (Bug fixes, small stuff...)

Just a thought - you could give your second disk the same name as the automatic one and then force the backup by choosing "back up now" from the TimeMachine icon on the menu bar.

I don't think that actually works... It recognises it's not the same disk and fails is what I think would happen...

Well - I tried it out and... Fryke is right. But! You can create a second time machine disk (with or without the same name) and plug it in just before leaving, open preferences an choose the new disk and push back up now. It will update the existing time machine backup.

Problem with the solution is it requires lots of switching back and forth and kills the beauty that is time machine.

Back