timedemo with quake3 1.31, how?

Launch Quake 3 Arena. At the menu screen, hit the tilda key '~' and type 'timedemo 1'. Hit enter and hit the tilda key again to close the console screen.

After the console screen closes, click on the demo menu and select the demo (I only have one demo in mine, but you may have more than one).

When demo is completed and you are returned to the menu screen, hit the tilda key again to view your frame rate.

Enjoy.:p

I'm sorry.. you got me on that one. I don't see any way to run a timedemo without a demo to play. I haven't seen any framerate setting during normal gameplay.

I recall they used to have the demo files as files in a directory. I would send you a demo file to use, but it appears they don't seperate them as files anymore and are now intergrated intot the application.

If you are curious as to what frame rates you get, I'm sure you already know that www.xlr8yourmac.com has a database that will show other users and their framerate from various different games.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

for a laptop graphic board, it is OK. Don't forget that modern graphic boards like the GeForce series tend to use big amounts of energy. You COULD get the speed of such a card in a laptop, but the card itself and the active cooling unit you need would empty the batteries to fast. That's why the mobile graphic board - regardless who makes them - are far away in their performance from the standard AGP cards. Especially in 3D apps, since 3D apps tend to utilize the floating point unit of a graphics board, especially when it has it's own processor architecture like the GeForce GPU (else, it just uses the CPU's FPU). The Floating point units need much more energy than a simple integer unit since their internal, physical architecture is much more complex (the more "parts", the more energy). 2D apps tend to stick with integer calculations for most of their processes (of course they also do floating point operations, but a 3D app has to do them a few hundred times just to get the image right). That's why you won't find a "good" graphics board in a Laptop anytime soon.

don't expect miracles from the GeForce you mentioned. It is faster as the ATI, but I red it also consumes much power, allthough it is IIRC 0.13 micron architecture. At the moment, all Apple Laptops suffer from OS X when it comes to battery life, they are not even "Energy saver"-norm, so this card would make the lifetime even shorter. Driving 64 MB video memory sucks away your battery, believe me. I have seen 32 MB cards in PC laptops and it wasn't that nice. Also, in a review of the GeForce2Go, I red that once it is in use (once OpenGL is using it), the internal cooling fan nearly never stops...again, adios battery time.

As much as I wish portable gaming system would be possible, they are not that easy to build. I know many PC manufactures do it, but as I said, take a close look at reviews and how long the battery lasts with such a graphics board in it.

But if you ask me, Apple should offer such cards as BTO-options, for people like you and maybe even me (damn, as much as I love my battery, even I would get the GeForce2Go to play Quake on the road...at least I can play Quake 1 on my iPaq ;).

Back