Tip for Expose usage: Might sound silly, but it really works

Ceroc Addict

Registered
For several months, I was a bit frustrated with Expose.

It's a brilliant tool, but I was having trouble hitting the right key/button to activate it (I'd either not activate it, or I'd activate "All Windows" when I meant "Show Desktop", etc).

• Assigning F9, F10, F11 was no good because I just couldn't find the right key quickly enough (I'd hit F8 by accident, etc).
  • Using screen corners, I would every now and again activate it by accident.
  • I eventually got a Kensington expert mouse, which was a decent solution, but it was a bit big to put into my PB bag.

The solution occurred to me just recently: Post it notes

I stuck a yellow post it over F9 and another over F11.

Now using Expose has become effortless. :D

Kap

I've got expose (f9) set to my middle mouse button (the scroll wheel which also acts as a button).

Works a treat!

Ceroc Addict : Brilliant! im sure you can buy blank keys somewhere, and then you get a marker pen. Viloa! :D

goynang said:
I've got expose (f9) set to my middle mouse button (the scroll wheel which also acts as a button).

Works a treat!

How do you do that ? Exposé is not a regular application, is it ?

chevy said:
How do you do that ? Exposé is not a regular application, is it ?

Or use USB overdrive to do it. You just set the mouse buttons to be F9/10/11 (note, you have to change the expose activation keys in system prefs, then set the keys in usb overdrive, then set it back in system prefs).

I have all the expose functions bound to mouse keys, works great for me.

I have a Microsoft intelliwotzit mouse that has its own control panel. You can set each button (it has 5!) to anything you want (keystrokes, forward, back, etc.) and separately for individual applications. I set it to make the middle (scroll) button equate to F9 key press only in the Finder. For playing Ghost Recon the same button brings up the map. Very useful.

The mouse is really good but has an annoying habit of cutting out every now and again. Have to unplug it and plug it back in to get it going again (normally with a big whack to remind it who's boss). I think they gave out free replacements for this problem in the U.S. but not here. Pah!

I have a logitech mouse and I was able to set the scroll wheel button to F9 but I had to turn it off in expose first in order to get it to set the button.

Back