tips: Carbon Copy Cloning Leopard?

bumble bee

Registered
Hello.

I've tried using the Leopard-appropriate version of CCC twice now for making a mirror of my MacBook Pro. The data is saved, yet the drive it's saved to is not bootable.

I'm working with a friend who's used CCC with Tiger successfully in past.

Are there any special tricks for getting CCC to make a bootable copy from a Leopard computer?

The external drive I'm using is a LaCie d2 quadra, btw.

Thanks.

I've made several CCCs of Leopard installations, both on Intel-based Macs as well as PowerPC-based Macs. Each were fine with one niggling little distraction: the permissions on the root level of the hard drive were a little screwy, preventing me from doing a "copy-paste" operation to replace the standard hard drive icon in a "Get Info" window. I verified that before I had the clone, it worked -- and after cloning, it no longer worked. Permissions were slightly different. Other than that, the CCC clone works beautifully.

How are you trying to boot from the external drive? I'm assuming it's not selectable in "Startup Disk" pane of the System Preferences, or perhaps doesn't show at all? What about booting with the 'option' key held down -- are you presented with a list of icons for bootable systems, and does the LaCie drive show up? How is the external drive formatted? What is the partition scheme on the external drive -- GUID, Apple Partition Map, or MBR (Master Boot Record)?

I use CCC to clone my startup disc to a Firewire HD all the time. Never an problem with bootability. The drive's an older Accomdata. I recently got a newer, larger Accomdata drive that 'matches' the shape and appearance of my Mac Mini. It will clone the disc, but its is not bootable. My experience and what I've read on the web indicates that your problem may be your drive not CCC. Some HDs are bootable, some are not (apparently)

Yep, some hard drives are just not bootable. A very important thing to check, though, as I mentioned, is the partition scheme of the drive. A lot of external hard drives come formatted for Windows out-of-the-box use, meaning they're either formatted as FAT32 (the most common) or NTFS (not as common but still prevalent).

While it's easy enough to plug these drives into a Mac and reformat them to HFS+ or a more Mac-friendly format, that doesn't change the partition scheme, which is MBR (Master Boot Record). You cannot use an MBR-partition schemed drive to boot any kind of Mac, even if you've reformatted the drive to HFS+.

If the drive was previously used on another Mac, and that other Mac was a PowerPC Mac, then the hard drive likely has an APM partition scheme and cannot be used to boot an Intel-based Mac until the partition scheme is changed.

The breakdown is as follows:

MBR (Master Boot Record): cannot boot Intel nor PowerPC Macs (MAY be able to boot PowerPC Macs... probably not, but maybe... but definitely won't boot an Intel Mac)
GUID: can boot Intel Macs, cannot boot PowerPC Macs.
APM (Apple Partition Map): can boot PowerPC Macs, cannot boot Intel Macs.

You've got a MacBook Pro, so your only option is the GUID partition scheme to yield a bootable drive.

EDCC:

we did wipe the drive, and formatted with GUILD partition and rights for security ~

Thank you for your interest in this matter, I appreciate hearing your ideas.

Any more thoughts, EDCC or anyone?

It seems you must use either FireWire or eSATA to boot from the LaCie d2 Quadra:

http://www.lacie.com/jpen/products/product.htm?pid=10894

**** Bootable on PC or Mac (using FireWire or eSATA). To take advantage of the bootable feature, the LaCie d2 Quadra must be formatted as a bootable drive in accordance with the operating system being used. The computer must include a BIOS or an interface card that supports bootable functionality with an external hard drive.

If you've been trying to use USB, perhaps this is why it won't boot for you.

Hmmm ..... I always thought I was fairly good at cloning our HD's .... Boy did I have a rude awakening today. I too just attempted to clone a Mac OS X.5.6 Leopard HD on our G4 1.8 Ghz to another larger internal 120GB ATA133 HD; the latter which formerly was running Tiger perfectly but for some odd reason now refuses to boot. And when I clone Tiger back to the second HD it is once again bootable. How strange is that? Here's the erros I'm getting using CCC for Leopard:

Unknown error -265778336

http://img375.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture2h.png

and when I click on "Ignore" I get yet another error message:

http://img199.imageshack.us/i/picture1zwh.png/

so I downloaded the latest and greatest from CCC and still got another error:

http://img26.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture3kbq.png

Gave up and erased the target HD with errors and re-installed Tiger clone .... and it worked fine!

SDMacuser

Back