Titanium Powerbook Hinge Fault

cbl2001

Registered
Hi,

Recently, the left hinge on my TiBook 15" 1GhZ fractured, and the screen became loose. On close inspection, it seems as if the metal was faulty, as the screen had not been put under any pressure or dropped or anything like that! I rang Apple, who are arranging to have it fixed... then a few days ago, the other hinge snapped. Apple are now going to repair both hinges.

However, I have seen that all the new PowerBook (Alluminium) and iBooks have a solid, single-hinge mechanism that runs almost the length of the screen.

Can anyone tell me if the problem with my hinge is inherent to the design of the TiBooks (as it seems to be), and therefore am I likely to be suffering the same fate with the new hinges? (unless of course Apple are kind enough to send me a brand new 17" Powerbook ::angel:: )

The hinge mechanism of the AlBooks was based on that of the iBooks because of a number of flaws in the design of the TiBook mechanism, including the matter of the keys leaving marks on the screen. Unless you were putting great pressure on your TiBook, this shattering sounds like a problem with the design, rather than just the model. It's the species, not the specimen, in other words. I would be wary of putting great pressure on your new hinges in the future, unless you can afford to upgrade to an aluminum beast.

Back