Tivo and Rendevous

YEA!! very cool.. play MP3's and display your iPhoto collection.. all over your Tivo!! ( I believe it will only work with the new series 2 tivo )

most excellent

hmmm, this is good for rendezvous and Apple, but not good for me. I was never a big fan of Tivo, I use ReplayTV. Instead of being limited to 80 hrs which is the max that I've seen for Tivo, I have three ReplayTVs connected to my network with 640 hours of total recording time (1 320 hr, and 2 160hr). I can send programs back and forth between the three depending on where I want to watch them, my home theater room, my TV room, or my bedroom. Now I might have to get Tivo too.

It would be really awesome if you could stream video to/from your Mac a la X-Box Media Player. That would be the ultimate entertainment device.

80 hours is more than enough for the average tv watcher. 640 hours...wow.. you can record a month of tv.

I would like them to have a cheap model that is around 15-20 hours and $150-$200 cheaper. $400 for the players and then the monthly fee add up quickly. Not everyone needs to be able to record an entire season of every show that is out. But thats just me...

Go apple.. Im waiting for the release of it.

Originally posted by stealth
what exactly is REndezvous ... any1 care to explain ?

It is one of the biggest technologies in MAC OS X.2 or if you prefer in ANY Operating System... It is also known as ZeroConf but Apple went with Rendezvous which I find it to be better and also they made the code of Rendezvous Open Source which means ANYONE can add it wherever he/she wants too!

To understand what Rendezvous is, imagine this:
-You have a PowerBook (which I'm hearing that's what you gonna get :D )
-You have a PowerMac
-You need to connect them both but you don't know anything about networks...
-Instead you enable Rendezvous and BOOM: Instant connection with your Macs!

Also, imagine that you want to play MP3s from your PowerMac to your PowerBook... You just open your iTunes with Rendezvous enabled and BOOM: Your PBook plays MP3s from your PMac!!! No copying, no messing around with networks and stuff :D

One thing you MUST have is:
-Cable to connect your Macs
OR
-Airport...

And these are some of the capabilities that Rendezvous offers :D

One downside is that still we don't have many apps or hardware to use it :( Only iChat, Safari and 2 or 3 apps are Rendezvous enabled... As for iTunes I'm sure that it will not be too long from now that we will be able to Rendezvous with it :D

BOOM! Welcome to Rendezvous!

Will this work in reverse. Will I be able to brring the TiVo video inot my mac. And maybe make a quicktime of it?

Matthew

No, this will not allow you to bring TiVo content into your Mac. This simply will allow easy set-up for Mac users who wish to use the MP3 and photo display options of the new TiVo service.

Also, this new service will cost $99 for the first TiVo and $49 for each additional TiVo. These are one time fees charged to your TiVo (not you personally) and are in addition to the regular monthly TiVo fee.

Yes, it's only for the Series2 models. And it is expected to be available around April.

Zeigan: TiVo has a 60hour refurbished unit sale going on now: $150 at www.tivo.com. You can purchase the 'monthly' service for $250 one time. That's $400 total. Some Replays can be had for around $150-$200 with rebates, too, and their lifetime fee is also $250.

(I was a Replay and TiVo user before I was a Mac user ;)

Perhaps slightly off-topic, but here goes..

If your only interested in the MP3 playback (not photos), and don't already have a 2nd Gen Tivo, you might consider a different bit of hardware: the SliMP3 - http://www.slimp3.com/index.html

The SliMP3 is a dedicated mp3 head-end for an audio system that'll play both mp3's and shoutcast-style mp3 streams over the internet. The server software is written in perl (GPL) and runs on just about any platform you want (including MacOSX). The player is autoconfiguring if you've got dhcp somewhere on your home network (most NAT's do this now), and will auto-discover the server and establish comm's with it automatically, very similar to Rendezvous. Of course, this can all be overridden manually, if you want.

What's really cool about the server software is that it will also stream to iTunes, allowing remote-control (from the server's web-based management tool) of multiple mp3 players, whether they be SliMP3, XMMS, iTunes, WinAmp, etc. I'm using the server software with iTunes right now as I await the arrival of my SliMP3 player. It's a nice way to 'test drive' the server software.

The cost - $250. Of course, this might inch up a bit if you have to run ethernet to your stereo system, or if you choose to go wireless , but you're gonna have this cost anyway with the TiVo solution. Also, with the TiVo, you'll have to get a USB-ethernet adaptor for it when the time comes; there is not a native ethernet connection on the TiVo2.

The best part (to me) is that both the server software and the communications protocols are completely open. Adding functionality to the server is not only possible, but encouraged.

BTW, I have a first-gen TiVo and I love it. The 2nd gen's look really nice, but I just don't watch enough TV to justify it. So, don't get the idea that I'm slamming TiVo; I'm not (Tivo/RV sound really cool). Just offering an alternative. :)

Back