To FireWire or Not to FireWire

Sighter

Lord of Coffee
Can anyone tells me why, ho, why, no companies are still making true
FireWire Drives... How comes everyone is accepting that fantastic interface
and still, we do not have any drive yet with true FireWire interface...

and I know about drives with FireWire Bridges so....

-Sighter

Please dumb it down a bit so i can understand...

Attachments

• wtf-lightning.jpg
    wtf-lightning.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 32
because the IDE drives are fast enough to use with a bridge board. If a company was going to make a true firewire drive then it would cost a lot more than existing drives and be just as fast. So... Why would they want to? Exactly!:D

I have a portable VST FireWire harddrive, it's slightly bigger than an iPod and it's 20 gigs. I'm pretty sure that this drive (and the iPod) are actuall FireWire drives. At least they aren't IDE drives since they're too small.

I agree with you Tk4two1, but I am asking you this, (and I serisouly dont know)
I see UW SCSI Drives up to 15k rpm. is there IDE that goes up to this speed?
And whats the troughput of IDE? FireWire is offering 400mbps.

And imagine the convenience of having internal true FireWire drives in your tower...Mmmmmm..:)

BTW: themacko, your VST drive is nothing more than a micro drive, exactly
the same thing as what you get inside Portables...

-Sighter

Originally posted by Sighter
I agree with you Tk4two1, but I am asking you this, (and I serisouly dont know)
I see UW SCSI Drives up to 15k rpm. is there IDE that goes up to this speed?
And whats the troughput of IDE? FireWire is offering 400mbps.

And imagine the convenience of having internal true FireWire drives in your tower...Mmmmmm..:)

BTW: themacko, your VST drive is nothing more than a micro drive, exactly
the same thing as what you get inside Portables...

-Sighter

SCSI: up to 320 MBps
ATA: up to 133 MBps
FireWire: 50 MBps = 400 Mbps (Megabit per second)

There would be absolutely no point in making "true" FireWire drives, nor internal FireWire drives because it's really slow compared to other internal bus standards. FireWire is meant for external communications, and it's still the fastest external bus standard. USB 2.0 has a peak performance of 480 Mbps (60 MBps), but doesn't reach the same actual speeds as FireWire.

Sorry :)

Originally posted by themacko
I have a portable VST FireWire harddrive, it's slightly bigger than an iPod and it's 20 gigs. I'm pretty sure that this drive (and the iPod) are actuall FireWire drives. At least they aren't IDE drives since they're too small.

It's probably a 2,5" IDE hard drive (such as those used in portable computers) in a FireWire enclosure. The iPod drive is about 1,7", I think.

Back