To iPod or Not

amcliz

Registered
Anyone out there know how good the iPod actually as when integrated into a top of the range Hi-Fi system. I have such a hi-fi system and I'm eager to purchase an iPod to make playing my large CD collection of music that much more easier and fun.. but I do worry about how it connects to my high quality amps and what the sound will be like before I purchase.... as far as I can see it's just one simple cable available.... so I worry about the sound quality. I have burnt my CD collection onto my computer using the Apple Lossless encoding system, so I'm hoping that will help in the sound quality being played.... has anyone else purchased an iPod for specific use with their audiophile hi-fi systems?? and if so... what was the verdict??

Any advice would be greatly welcomed... I'm holding off until the end of this month or maybe June at the Developers Conference for news of the True Video iPod... with touch screen interface... but just in case I can't hold off.. it would be great to see what other people think of the sound quality. The other alternative is the Hermstedt HiFidelio system but the iPod would be alot more portable, mobile and just more fun.... :):)

Yours sincerely,
Anthony
Irish MacUser and MacAddict

the amps inside are actually quite ggood, if a little quiet. using a dock allows you to use the fixed dedicated Line Out, so the sound quality is that out of iTunes.

Steve Jobs is a known audiophile, so these things have been taken into consideration, reckon.

the sound quality is very good on the iPod connected to a quality sound system especially since you have saved your cds in the Apple lossless format. The biggest thing I have found is cable hiss. Go with a high quality cable and a dock. That will greatly help. (will prevent the connection getting loose from plugging and unplugging using the headphone jack)

Back