Toast 5 killing DVD-Rs

hazmat

Rusher of Din
I have found Toast Titanium 5 (whatever the latest version is) totally unreliable with DVD-Rs. It's hosed three so far. First was when I tried to make a copy of a data DVD-R from the Copy tab in Toast. Toast actually completely crashed. Another time just writing data to one I got this error. Third time I got a buffer underrun. I have never had a problem with burning CD-Rs. This is with my Power Mac G4 867 with SuperDrive. And all 3 DVDs were Apple ones. Anyone know what could be causing these problems?

Thanks.

Seems like the data is having trouble getting to the disc quickly. You can't compare the data rate of a standard CD to a DVD. The DVD needs to pass large amounts of information. I found Toast pre 5.2 would crash on panther. I use Toast 6, but I have not been burning DVDs on Panther all that long, no problems so far though.

Urbansory said:
Seems like the data is having trouble getting to the disc quickly. You can't compare the data rate of a standard CD to a DVD. The DVD needs to pass large amounts of information. I found Toast pre 5.2 would crash on panther. I use Toast 6, but I have not been burning DVDs on Panther all that long, no problems so far though.

Okay, I'm running 5.2.1. Looks like there's a 5.2.3, but I don't think that any of it's features affect me. I HAVE been thinking of buying Toast 6. What do you think of it and how it compares to 5?

Also, do you think that that error I have the screenshot is also from not getting the data to the disc quickly enough?

Thanks for the reply.

Possibly, i had that all the time with Toast 5.2 in Jaguar, 5.1.3 seemed to work fine though, but this was with my old USB burner. Try to start with 5.1.3, then try different version. If you have DVD-/+ rw see how those burn. That will make trouble shooting easy and cheaper, less coasters.

Also, you may have some disc problems that you are unaware of. I know my system had problems that were fixed by using Norton, since all my non system stuff is on other partitions and drives, i could use Norton without it screwing things up. But there are other apps, i just use what i have.

Well I went over to J&R the other day and bought a spool of 10 Memorex DVD-Rs for $20 and burned one, with Buffer Underrun Protection on, this time leaving the computer alone. Burned successfully. I guess I just need to leave it along while burning DVDs.

Thanks again for the help.

It's always a good idea to leave Buffer underrun on. The 1 time i didn't, i made a $5 coaster, and I was pissed. And this was with Toast 5 under.... I believe that lab had Jaguar.

Back