Toast on OS X

Krisneph

Registered
I resently tried to rewrite on CD from Toast Titanium and appeantly u can't just add files to the ones already there...
Fine so I tried to erase the disc and instead of doing a quick erase i did a regular erase and it just stayed trying to erase it endlessly until i had to do a forse quit.....
then i trien it from OS X and it worked fine isn't titanium supposed to get the job done better

You should have seam my reaction of horror when I found out CDRW on Macs does not do CDRW (Packet Writing)... being a HUGE fan of Packet Writing CDRW via Direct CD from Roxio (previously Adaptec) on Windows....

You'd think that the company would have the same products for both platforms, eh?

I am on serious withdraw...

Just to make myself feel better... I no longer use CDRW disks... and pretend CDRs are CDRWs by just tossing them away and inserting a new one... ok so that's not using it like a CDRW - but on a Mac, it's a lot less painful to just toss them and grab a new one!

::Going into convultions:: :p :(

do you have the latest update? i haven't tried it myself yet, but according to the read me, toast ti 5.1.3 is supposed to have corrected this problem ... :)

With Packet Writing - you do NOT have to erase a disk (you can select CD's contents and hit Delete - all gone!).

Think of it this way... a 600mb (Aprox) Floppy Disk! Write, Write again, Write again, delete ONE folder, add another folder, delte ONE file, add 60 more files, nah - remove those 60 files and add a folder instead with a bunch of MP3s, take it to your bud's computer (who also has CDRW and Packet Writing) and add a bunch of his MP3s to that SAME CDRW disk... STRAIGHT ONTO THE CDRW DISK IN REAL TIME!

Now imagine being able to do this for over a year or two without a second thought...

Now can you imagine my pain? :(

I envy you.... I'll never be completly happy and comfortable on my Mac until I can do Packet Writing. I rather not know what it is... but after using it for what - 2 or 3 years? I'm going through serious withdraws! :(

testy -to simplify, packetwriting allows you to use a cdrw like a hard disc. i have never done it, but i was pretty upset when i found that it can't be done in the mac platform (and i have only ever owned macs). I think it is a product we deserve to have.

on the other hand, it isn't that big of a deal. given some other factors like the lower quality of cdrw's compared to cdr's and the super low cost of discs, it is probably smarter to do what Tormente does anyway. However, from an environmental standpoint it would be much better to be able to packet write.

unfortunately roxio has experimented with it for mac but had so many problems with it that they dropped the product. rumor has it that they were going to try again with osx, but i'll see it when i believe it.:rolleyes:

I LOVED multisession writing on CD-R's with PC's. It was awesome... You can just reuse a CD-R over and over again, until you ran out of room. No need to coaster CD-R's that have 500+MB free... Cuz those CD-R's take up tremendous amounts in landfills if you think about it.

Does Toast allow multisession writing on CD-R's? Or is that a "forthcoming" feature?

-B

toast does multi session. so you can record 50 mb now, 300 mb later, 10 mb later on etc. i am not real fond of having lots of icons show up on my desktop for one cd so i normally just wait and record enough to fill it, but it has the capabilities.

I, too, loved multisession CDs. When I had a Mac and a PC with no network, I used to burn CDs to transfer files between them(movies, games). I used one CD from the PC to the Mac, and 124(give or take) the other way:(

This would be good - but it is not the OS Maker's job to do it... It's CD Burning Software Makers job - like Roxio. So I don't think winning to Apple will get me much. :D

Ed, I would think that OSX would be more stable and able to overcome those problems Roxio was running into before when they where trying Packet Writting before... so I really hope they (or ANYONE else) tries Packet Writing on OSX.

I never had problems with CDRWs really, but I never bought cheap disks either. They did tend to "wear out" mostly getting too scratched up and eventually got tossed... but that was rare. The only part I hated was waiting for them to "format", that took forever on my PC. :p

Originally posted by Tormente

This would be good - but it is not the OS Maker's job to do it... It's CD Burning Software Makers job - like Roxio.

Mac OS X has built in CD burning, so they could support this in the Finder if they wanted. If you want to ever see features, you have to write in or else they won't even consider it.

Back