Too many partitions

iswitched

Registered
When I did a clean install of Jag some months ago, I made 4 partitions on my HD. In retrospect I should only have made two, one for Jag and one for other applications/music etc.

I haven't bothered to re-install OS9 since I never used it anyway, but I have an empty OS9 partition plus one more.

My questions are:
#1 Can I rename one of those blank partitions and use it for other applications?

or, #2 Is there any way I can merge them and make 2 larger partitions without having to back up all my "stuff", reformat and do another install of Jag?

I have an iMac, Flat Panel, Combo drive if that's any help.
Thanks!

iSwitched

Can I rename one of those blank partitions and use it for other applications?

To rename a partition, simply select it in the finder, press the RETURN key, and enter a new name.

#2 Is there any way I can merge them and make 2 larger partitions without having to back up all my "stuff", reformat and do another install of Jag?

I just tried modifying the partitions scheme by opening the Disk Utility application (Applications=>Utilities=>Disk Utility), but it wouldn't let me. I suppose it's because I was doing it from the start-up disk. Try it yourself, but this time start-up from a CD...

Thanks for your replies everyone and for the caution re. using Disk Utility:eek: I've just renamed the OS9 partition and will use it for applications.
Being new to Mac it's nice to know there's lots of help here.

iSwitched

Back