Too slow to playback DivX?

The G3 is actually much faster MHz-for-MHz than the PII. For things like video processing, where the Pentium's MMX helps a lot, they're about even. Check the system requirements for Divx or anything like that, and you'll see the clock speeds they recommend are about the same.

I should think any 700MHz system would play it fine. Certainly a 700MHz G3 would. But a G4 would definitely serve you much better, even at lower clock speeds.

Another thing to keep in mind is that just about everything about your system is slow. Slow system bus, slow graphics card, etc. The bus speed can make a big difference for these things. Personally, I wouldn't want to sink too much money into upgrading. For the money it would take to upgrade, take a look at eBay and see what you can get used.

SuperTyphoon: You may want to review our board rules ASAP. Pay particular attention to the part about Rivals and Trolls. If you have any questions, then PM or e-mail me.

Thanks,
~MD

Mikuro said:
The G3 is actually much faster MHz-for-MHz than the PII. For things like video processing, where the Pentium's MMX helps a lot, they're about even. Check the system requirements for Divx or anything like that, and you'll see the clock speeds they recommend are about the same.

I should think any 700MHz system would play it fine. Certainly a 700MHz G3 would. But a G4 would definitely serve you much better, even at lower clock speeds.

Another thing to keep in mind is that just about everything about your system is slow. Slow system bus, slow graphics card, etc. The bus speed can make a big difference for these things. Personally, I wouldn't want to sink too much money into upgrading. For the money it would take to upgrade, take a look at eBay and see what you can get used.

Yea i know. It's really tempting to buy a 2nd hand G4 system, but i've promised myself not to spend much money on it. I'll probably do a RAM upgrade but much more... i don't think so.

Alright, just installed 256 MB ram in it, so now i have total 288 MB.

MPEG plays fine now. But still lots of trouble with DivX and Xvid. It's just too slow and i get the message from ffmpeg "dropped more then 5 seconds, computer too slow?".

If i would put OS9 on it, i'd have to create a new partition, right? Can i do this without re-formatting my HD?

I think that'd be too much hassle for certainly not better DivX/XviD support. (Still unwatchable, anyway, even if you'd get like 5 fps...)

You wouldn't need a new partition for OS 9. You can install it right on top of OS X with no real problems.

Again, the QuickTime codecs are just faster than what you'll get with VLC/MPlayer. 3ivx is king (except with QuickTime 7, because of some compatibility issues).

Back