Toolbar Scripts and the Script Menu Extra

simX

Unofficial Mac Genius
So after using Script Runner today, I realized that it would be best if I left my scripts in a compiled format -- Why? Because when I run them from the Script menu extra or from Script Runner, they execute immediately, without having to open Script Editor or the application itself if it was compiled to be an application. I think that's totally AWESOME, because there are some very nifty Finder Window scripts that I like to use, and it just makes it so much faster to not have to wait fon a script application to open.

Here's my predicament though... I now have to go to the Script menu extra or leave Script Runner open, and use those menus. I would LOVE to use scripts in this fashion on the Finder toolbar, but they don't work in the same way -- if it's a compiled script, the toolbar opens Script Editor and displays the script code, rather than executing it.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to do what I want? Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Unfortunately, the script menu "knows" that the things select are scripts that need to run through an installed script engine.
The Finder toolbar, on the other hand, tries to open the file using the Finder... which is going to have the same effect as double-clicking the file.

The only solution I can think of is to have two copies of the script - one compiled in a script file and one as an applet.

Back