.torrent files showing up ininvited

JohnOSX

Registered
Every couple of days I get a new .torrent file on my hard drive that I did not download. The .torrents are titled ColbertReport(07.15.08).torrent for example I fear I might have invited a torrent of .torrents and I just want them to stop. Is there a way I can stop these .torrents from landing on my computer? How might I block them or unsubscribe? I don't know where they are coming from. They are just little 8K files but they are so pesky I would just love to stop them from coming.

I am running 10.4.11 on my MacBook. I'm having the same problem on my 10.5 MacBook too, because I transfered this account to a new MacBook.

What rule did (s)he break out of interest? The 'No W@r3z' rule doesnt apply to the above post I dont think.

Anyway they may be downloading because someone else has used your computer or you have a torrent application which youve automatically setup to download these particular torrents for you. E.G. Have it scan RSS feeds for torrents containing the words 'Colbert Report' then automatically download the .torrent file.

Plus OS X is copyrighted material so why are we allowed to talk about that?! Its not as if (s)he is linking to the copyrighted material.

"No asking for serialz, hackz, or warez, linking to them, discussing or anything related, including MP3z, Pr0n and related piracy items."
Hasnt breached anything here. Hes talking about getting rid of .torrent files. Since its not illegal to download a .torrent, whats the problem?!

Plus OS X is copyrighted material so why are we allowed to talk about that?! Its not as if (s)he is linking to the copyrighted material.

"No asking for serialz, hackz, or warez, linking to them, discussing or anything related, including MP3z, Pr0n and related piracy items."
Hasnt breached anything here. Hes talking about getting rid of .torrent files. Since its not illegal to download a .torrent, whats the problem?!

Madelin, the problem would not be in regards to discussions of copyrighted material, but discussions about distribution of copyrighted material and the methods therein. There is a difference.

And no, I don't personally believe that torrents are bad...but it's all in what you use it for. Same thing with a knife.

That said, I did just notice that he was trying to get them to stop. JohnOSX, is someone else using that computer as well (as Madelin stated)? If so, Are they logging in with your account or a separate account?

Sorry for the Firestorm about the question.

Nobody else uses the computer. I remember watching a short clip of Colbert on Youtube once. Would that send .torrents my way?

Is there no way to see what feeds I'm hooked up to through Safari or Firefox? (If it is through a RSS feed that they are coming.)

Could I change an IP number or use NightShade or something like that?

Thanks for your time; who do I pay?

JohnOSX

Sorry for the Firestorm about the question.

Nobody else uses the computer. I remember watching a short clip of Colbert on Youtube once. Would that send .torrents my way?

Is there no way to see what feeds I'm hooked up to through Safari or Firefox? (If it is through a RSS feed that they are coming.)

Could I change an IP number or use NightShade or something like that?

Thanks for your time; who do I pay?

JohnOSX

Just watching off of YouTube shouldn't be placing .torrent files in your Mac.

By any chance do you have some sort of add-on in Firefox (if you use that browser) that might search for any kind of file that's associated with the video, be it a .torrent or a .flv? Any other p2p applications that you've installed that might be running in the background without you knowing? Take a look in Activity Monitor and see what's running that might be the source of the problem.

I must be getting some sort of Torrentcast but the problem is I don't know how to stop them. Which app might manage the Torrentcast? I can't find a Torrentcast manager in iTunes, Firefox, or Safari. I've turned off the RSS feed in Firefox, but that did not help.
Would an app have to be running to download a .torrent or could it do it in the background?

Back