Toshiba offers 17" Notebook

mightyjlr

Registered
Here is the article:

http://news.com.com/2100-1044_3-1022593.html?tag=lh

It is over 3 pounds heavier, an inch thicker, an inch wider, and 1.5 inches deeper. It costs $1,200 less though. Oh yea, and its fugly.

I love this part when they compare it to the size of the 17" G4: "Toshiba argues that the P25 is still smaller and more easily moved or stowed than a typical desktop."

I have seen one. The screen is smaller, too, and I believe at a lower resolution. If both this and the powerbook 17 are 17-inches, then obviously Apple is using a bigger ruler. ;-)

Originally posted by symphonix
I have seen one. The screen is smaller, too, and I believe at a lower resolution. If both this and the powerbook 17 are 17-inches, then obviously Apple is using a bigger ruler. ;-)

They both claim 1440x900 resolution. Did you see them side by side? Personally I think they're both ugly. I like the 15" PB, but the 17" display really throws off the proportions, the now seemingly tiny keyboard looks positively out of place on such a large laptop. I was very excited about the 17" until I actually saw it and realized just how big it was. Now I wouldn't turn one down if offered ;) but it seems that 17" is on the fringe of portability.

Personally I'd be happier with the 15" at a higher resolution (I still have good eyes and like pixels more than inches). IBM was doing some cool work on high rez lcd displays (e.g. 1600x1200 14"), but for the most part, they don't seem to be doing anything with them (probably because the rez is too high for most people and is only useful in specific applications). Give me a 15" with 1600x1024 and dual G5's and two 7200rpm Hitachi notebook drives in a RAID config and I'll be a happy man :D Oh and make it weigh 4 lbs and be 3/4" thick and run 8 hours on a single battery. Of course that 40lb suitcase cooler you'd have to carry with you might become tiresome ;)

Originally posted by blastic
That "computer" is hidious.

I agree! That is one bloody ugly computer! Who in they right mind would want to carry that 'brick' around, you will need a suitcase to carry the thing or a trolley!

Top marks for Apple in Industrial Design.

May two cents worth and I expect change...

Personally, I say screw resolution. I'll take a 12" over a 17" any day of the week, even if it is slightly thicker...it's just easier to bring places, and that's what I need in a laptop...

THAT thing is one mo-fu-gly beast! Hulk looks infinity times prettier next to THAT! Bliah!

- runs to throw up! after some time he recovers -

And its battery must last for... 1, 1 and 1/2 hours at the most, or what? :p

What about faster wireless, 2nd monitor support not to mention DVI support, 64MB of VRAM, Gigabit Ethernet, Bluetooth, etc? Where are those? :rolleyes:

There goes the fact that it costs $1120 (not $1200) less than the aBook 17"... :rolleyes:

Heavier, uglier, lesser, hmmmm... However, it has a parallel port and Windows XP Pro!!! It sounds like THE opportunity of a lifetime! NOT :p

As for Apple portables I would go for the aBook 12". Although I currently have the TiBook 15" 1GHz/DVD-R that 12" is soooo sweet! Oh, well, next time maybe! :rolleyes:

For more info on the Toshiba "portable" go here:
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/...eghdgngdgll.0&comm=ST&pfam=Satellite&pmod=P25

For more info on the Apple portables go here:
http://www.apple.com/store/

Personally, if I was into buying a Wintel portable I would chose an AMD or a Centrino based one...

Originally posted by voice-
Personally, I say screw resolution. I'll take a 12" over a 17" any day of the week, even if it is slightly thicker...it's just easier to bring places, and that's what I need in a laptop...

Well, you're obviously not a DTP or video pro ;)

Oh dear lord, I thought you guys were exagerating when you said it was "fugly".... but you weren't!

Yeah, and what's up with the off-center trackpad? Great if you're a lefty.... but I'm ambidextrous. I like to use both my right and left.

EDIT: Wait, aren't MOST people RIGHT-handed? WTF?!?

Originally posted by adambyte
Great if you're a lefty.... but I'm ambidextrous. I like to use both my right and left.

That's interesting. Off-topic, but I'm right-handed, yet I use left for shooting. Can't think of anything else I use left for, but there is obviously a physical difference between left and right. Would be interesting to do some research on that!

Back