Total Programming Noob looking for info

Harvestr

Registered
My background is in print and web design. However I am looking into going for a Masters Degree in 3-d animation at Texas A&M ( http://www-viz.tamu.edu/ ). Part of the admissions requirement is a basic knowledge of an object oriented program and data structures.

What do you guys recommend for a starter in programming. I'm thinking of learning Java, but am open to suggestions. What are the best tools? Does Panther with it's Xcode application have everything I need to start writing Java apps?

Any info on such areas or sites that might help me would be great.

Java is an excellent place to start for writing Object-Oriented code. I'd start by picking up a few textbooks on Java, and experimenting in a simple IDE such as BlueJ - which is more like a test-bench for experimenting with code, rather than a full-blown development suite. Then, once you've wrapped your head around the concepts, you can experiment with Xcode. To dive straight into a high-end IDE to begin with will only leave you overwhelmed, and you will miss many important concepts.

Thanks man. I downloaded BlueJ and it looks like a good learning tool for sure. I'm just reading the basics of Java for now and will be writing some simple stuff soon. Thanks again for the tip.

If you have access to MS Office, you could also take a whack at learning Visual Basic.

Back