totally bamboozled

ad224

Registered
I posted a question to tech support, but it failed to fix the problem. I have an iMac G5, semi literate, but much more so with windows. This is my first mac. Here are some symptoms: it takes 10 to 20 tries to launch Safari. The sequence I have to follow: 1. Click on Safari icon. 2. When drop down box appears to tell me it can't connect to the server, click ok 3. The box doesn't go away, but I have to click okay anyway, or step 4 won't work. Step 4. Force Quit and begin sequence again. Other things:

Totally reinstalled software. When I try to reload iLife 05, it says it has to check a program and I get the spinning wheel forever. Won't load software updates. I currently have a spinning wheel going for that. Won't run Onyx, which was part of my tech support's suggestions. It starts reading information, the blue bar gets about a quarter way over and holds. Don't have a safari.plist file in preferences (my abbreviation), which was step one of tech's solution. Can anyone help?

My guess is that you have done nothing to setup your Internet connectivity or that you have entered your ISP's info incorrectly.

Which version of Mac OS X are you running? How much RAM does it have? You can finde this out by going to the Apple menu at the top left on the menubar and selecting "About This Mac."

You can try running in Single User Mode by doing the following:
1. Turn on your Mac
2. After you hear the Mac startup chime, hold down Apple-S until you see UNIX text flowing through your screen.
3. At the prompt, type the following: /sbin/fsck -yf (note the space between "/sbin/fsck" and "-yf")
4. Once it finishes repairing the disk, run it one more time to make sure it got everything.
5. When it finishes, type "reboot" to restart your Macintosh.

After it reboots, try launching some applications and see if it helped resolve things.

Performed the sbin function twice "Volume A appears to be ok" each time. No change in computer's status and now computer beeps quietly every 30 seconds or so. Also, since not mentioned before:
OS X 10.3.9, 512 MB DDR SDRAM. Cannot load pictures in iPhoto, but cannot reinstall.

From you mentioning the sounds, it might be a RAM issue. Have you tried swapping out the RAM in the iMac? It's possible that faulty RAM is the cause of your apps crashing left and right.

Back