Totally missed by EVERYONE!

Anim8r

Registered
One thing that has not been discussed (I mentioned it on another board), is the embedded OS market.

Once OSX is available for the Intel processsor, what is to stop them from moving a slimmed down version over to smart phones and PDAs?

Imagine an Intel powered smart-phone with a version of OSX and all of it's Blue-Toothy, iSyncy, ease-of usey (ok, that was stretching it) goodness!

I fully expect that actual device from that Apple Tablet patent we've all seen will be sporting a low power Intel chip...

Because x86 processors are basically non-existent on embedded systems? PowerPC chips are far more common than x86 based processors as embedded processors.

Hmmm, I don't know about that. There are lots of x86 chips out there in embedded land. The AMD Elan chip that's 486 based is extremely popular. The IIS uses 386 based embedded chips to control most of the spacecraft systems. PC/104 stacks are hugely popular and are x86 based.

chadwick said:
Hmmm, I don't know about that. There are lots of x86 chips out there in embedded land. The AMD Elan chip that's 486 based is extremely popular. The IIS uses 386 based embedded chips to control most of the spacecraft systems. PC/104 stacks are hugely popular and are x86 based.
Viro is correct. There are some niche products that include embedded Intel processors. However, Freescale and IBM dominate the embedded processor market in automobiles, laser printers, consumer electronics, etc. These are markets that dwarf the total personal computer market.

Well, it doesn't really matter. Since Mac OS X always was and always will be highly portable, it -could- be used in different handheld platforms etc. However, the question is whether Apple wants to build any such products. So far, they weren't really interested in creating PDAs or smartphones.

Back