Totally uninspired by Tiger

habilis

Ministry of Re-Education
Apple is really reaching this time with "Tiger". Stock quotes and weather are so 1998. C'mon guys, "Handy Widgets???" - yeah we've had these barely-useful "Widgets" on my toothbrush for the last 5 years. Everything else is just a cluster of uninspiring updates and bug fixes.

I completely disagree. The new program "Dashboard" is an extremely welcome part of the new system, increasing productivity, ease of use, better time management, and just being pure cool. I use widgets with Konfabulator, and I find them extremely usefull on a daily basis.

Also, keep in mind that Dashboard is only ONE of the new things in Tiger.

Things I'm looking forward to in no particular order:

- GCC 4.0 (w00t!!)
- XCode 2
- Spotlight (after using Beagle on Linux, I'm really looking forward to spotlight).
- Safari RSS.

There alone are worth the upgrade in my book. I've tested some of my code with GCC 4, and I get a rather nice boost in speed. There's a thread somewhere in the Tiger forum about my experiments.

XCode 2 looks nice, with better Java integration. Easily worth the upgrade price on its own.

habilis said:
Stock quotes and weather are so 1998. C'mon guys, "Handy Widgets???" - yeah we've had these barely-useful "Widgets" on my toothbrush for the last 5 years.
Dashboard is one of the things I'm looking forward to most in Tiger - spelling checker widget alone will be a welcome addition.

Kap

As a Konfabulator user I too was looking forward to Dashboard, but found myself disappointed. Konfabulator is great because all the widgets sit on the desktop, all the time. I found with Dashboard that having to press a button meant I only used it infrequently.

As one of my Konfabulator widgets gives me the last ten posts to these forums I felt that was a shame.

Well: You can still use Konfabulator, can't you. Personally, if I had some konf-widgets open permanently, I'd keep them there and use Dashboard for things that _don't_ have to be always visible.

I Use Konf widgets daily and find it very handy to split widgets between desktop and background through Konsposé

BTW Anyone knows if Konf Widgets will actually be compatible with Dashboard ? Or ones needs to start a fresh new collection of widgets

Well the only reason im interested in upgrading to Tiger is for just a general performance increase of my eMac, Dashboard, Spotlight (might be handy one day), and the menu bar. I used Konf once i didnt really like it that much it seemed to eat up alot of the resources, but im really looking forward to dashboard.

As usual these updates are just window dressing for the user but great for the UNIX and hard-coders out there. How many times do you really need to check the weather, eh? If Konfab is out there, why would Apple need to spend time and money developing their own Konfab?! Not exactly ground breaking.

Don't get me wrong, I love OS X (I'd thought I'd never go to OS X about 3 years ago, now I will never go back to 9!) but many of these updates get us all excited only to leave the bad aftertaste of incompatibilities and unexpexted program crashes. :)

Well the difference is Apple's design and user interface. I used the demo for Konfabulator and wasn't all that impressed. Some shareware makers do a great job but lately I have seen applications pieced together such as QuarkXPress or Limewire. Also consider the creators of Konfabulator. They were very angry when Apple announced Dashboard and began promoting their product as the original Dashboard. That may get them some customers but over time they will have to add some incentive like design and user interface to draw the larger crowd. If that is their target audience.

I would like Tiger for my graduation present but may not get it. I wasn't inspired by Panther because I heard so much about it. Did not use Exposé except for showing off or when i really really really needed it. It all depends on your needs and outlook on new functions in Mac OS X.

Heh. That's interesting... When Pather came out, I saw it, and was amazed by it. I always thought, 'What would be really neat would be if I could "zoom out" and see all my windows at the same time.... and Panther had Expose, and I love it. I can't stand using a computer without it. To me, Expose was worth the price of Panther, alone. Everything else that came with Panther were just nicities...

Tiger, however... I dunno.... I have QuickSilver, so I'm not in any dire need of Spotlight... though, I think my parents are in need of Spotlight. And Dashboard? Ironically, I think I'll only use it if they make it so the widgets can hang around, just like Konfabulator.... I always thought Konfabulator was neat, but never that worth price of admission, considering there are other free utilities...

Tiger? Maybe. We'll see.

adambyte said:
Heh. That's interesting... When Pather came out, I saw it, and was amazed by it. I always thought, 'What would be really neat would be if I could "zoom out" and see all my windows at the same time.... and Panther had Expose, and I love it. I can't stand using a computer without it. To me, Expose was worth the price of Panther, alone. Everything else that came with Panther were just nicities...

Tiger, however... I dunno.... I have QuickSilver, so I'm not in any dire need of Spotlight... though, I think my parents are in need of Spotlight. And Dashboard? Ironically, I think I'll only use it if they make it so the widgets can hang around, just like Konfabulator.... I always thought Konfabulator was neat, but never that worth price of admission, considering there are other free utilities...

Tiger? Maybe. We'll see.

wow. its like we are the same person.. I totally agree with everything you said.

Is Tiger to Panther (lets say... 10.3.1) as Longhorn will be to Windows XP? Is it that big of an upgrade? I know that the low price suggests not.

There's a lot of big stuff in Tiger that doesn't have a flashy GUI - core data, which gives developers all sorts of nice features basically for free. core graphics, which developers of graphics apps will probably start building into their apps. Lots of features that are nice and useful to administrators, like access control lists for files (rather than plain old user/group/other permission bits)...

So, you might not see a lot of difference, but I suspect many programs will come out that require 10.4, or that have better features in 10.4, because it's just so easy to do cool things with the tools that 10.4 gives to developers.

And really - isnt' that what makes an OS good - that there are programs for it that do cool things?

I find myself on the fence when it comes to this release.For now I don't have so much on my system that I need spotlight,dashboard I'm not that busy of a person I need to see what is going on every second of the day for whatever.Since I'm not a developer or an administrator well no blood pressure increase again. ` So far the only things that captured my attention were Mail,Quicktime,Safari :eek: you say well I like'em.As for iChat enhancements the thing is almost a bust the way it is now.Six people in my buddy list big deal & only one has a webcam. I'm finding it hard to justify the $165. Canadian approximately.

when is video going to be addressed properly? i thought it was going to be in tiger, until i realised it blatantly wasn't going to happen - quicktime 7? h.264 bullsh*t. itunes can sort and play digital music better than anything else on the planet - kicks windows media until it can't get up. iphoto makes Windows' "photo contextual" folders look primitive and half arsed (and wins awards because of it), but for video, we get a program that is only better than windows media player 7 years ago because of some codecs.

quicktime's only saving grace is that its "compatible". which with tiger stops anyway. i hate quicktime - always have. when is iMove going to be a full video library, with organising, tagging (meta data for spotlight, remember), searching and the best thing about itunes/iphoto, the distancing from the actual files and folders.

instead, iMovie is a sandbox video editor. great. i don't have a video camera. i do, however, have about 200 miscellaneous mpegs. plus i'd like to put my dvd collection on my mac, so i don't have to get up to change bloody movies. what itunes did for my cd collection (getting dusty, i fear) and what iphoto did for photo albums, iMovie/Video? should do for video. i can't be the only one that thinks this is an area where [for once] macs are at least 7 years behind everyone else.

this is related to the thread.... it's my tiger disapointment

iPhoto takes videos, btw. Maybe that slipped under your radar... And iTunes as well as iPhoto and iMovie are part of iLife, not Panther or Tiger. So your gripe's really with iLife '05, not Tiger...

yeah, i know.... the video support in iPhoto, thats only in iLife 05 right? (i have 4). how good is it? i mean can it manage and play a range of formats? (full range?)

and it still seems as though it's still an undernourished part of iLife. IMO

An OS is an os to me. After a while you tend to settle down with the half a dozen things you really use regularly. These of course vary person to person.

What I did notice was that Panther only had one sexy addition, Expose, and I eventually ended up NOT using it.

To me it seems that Tiger has more extras to show then Panther did. So I'll soon see what enters my day-to-day routine.

Back