Tough iBook hinge.

piquant

Registered
When I raise the lid on my white dual USB iBook circa 2001, it sounds like an elephant passing wind sitting on a bass drum. I looked at it carefully and noted that the ends of the hinge (the pins) that fit into the main body of the laptop are very loose fit in the socket. Indeed, I can move the hinged end of the cover up and down on the pins even though it doesn't open or shut without effort. I don't understand where the hinge is binding with the pins on the ends so loose. Even a dummy like me knows an expensive repair job when he sees one, and I have a towering disinclination to spend anything on such an ancient machine even if it does work fine.

I'll bet my front seat at the follies there's some ingenious dude out there who's had the same problem and maybe fixed it himself with a can of oil and a hammer. If so, I'd be pleased to hear his advice on how to fix my hinge?

I can't see any reason not to apply, vary sparingly, some "3-in-One" oil in whatever spot you can, then work it in by raising & lowering the lid a lot to get it into where it's needed.

Do NOT use WD40! (Don't ask why I know this!)

Happily, I already had 3-in-One in my tool kit (I use it on my fishing reels). I dispensed a little in a bottle cap and dipped a sewing needle in it and carried minute amounts of oil to the very narrow slit of space between the end of the hinge and the computer. While I didn't over do it, I think I did get some oil in. However, I didn't detect any difference on the groaning noise or ease of use.

Motivated to examine that area closer, I was alarmed at the amount of play in the hinge. One would suppose that as loose as it seems, the lid would stay open in any position. I thank you for your suggestion, but I'm still open to more ideas.

Back