" Tracking " software?

darenceang

Registered
Hi!
I have a workstation running FCP ( OS X ) and it is actually shared by a few users. ( i have 2 part timers working on projects , one in the day and one @ night )

Recently, i " caught " one of my part time worker editing other people video ( project taken from other production house ) during the hours i am paying him to edit one of my videos. Think that he is trying to use the software that i have and effects in my system.

I am very angry and would like to know if there are any software that can " track " what the person is doing during the hours i am not around.

Anybody has any ideas?

Cheers!
Darence

You could, maybe, simply talk to him. If you start tracking him, maybe installing secret video cameras that are aimed on his monitor (*SAME* thing really as using tracking software from a legal standpoint!) and eye him with one eyebrow raised all the time, I guess the friendly and trustful working-together is already gone. So, *I*'d rather:

1.) Talk to him. Tell him that you got angry when you found out about it and that he violated the trust you put in him.
2.) Tell him that it can't be like that.
3.) Find out, together with him, a way to continue working together. There are various options. For example, you *could* let him work on side projects on his own time. Or you could let him lease the machine/installed effects, so he could pay you a certain amount of money per hour he works on that machine for side-projects.

Either way: Anything's better than having to be a total control-freak about your employees. If you have to do that, you have to fire them imho and find replacements you can trust in.

You could always use VNC.. Just make sure you disable keyboard and mouse interactions.
Of course, it's better to trust people, but you asked for tracking software.

Hmmmmm..
But is there any s/w out there that can @ least like urm.. mayb "log" wat time FCP was started. What project name he created. Mayb duplicate a copy of the captured footage onto another HD.
:)

Cheers!
Darence

The keylogger is as close as you can get unless you're connected to the machine and watching live with VNC. Evaluate your options with a lawyer, because I think you're on weak ground with what you're trying. Again: Talk. It's better.

if you have your finder windows set as sidebar view, when you select the application you get some details which has, last opened with the date and time ;)

fryke said:
The keylogger is as close as you can get unless you're connected to the machine and watching live with VNC. Evaluate your options with a lawyer, because I think you're on weak ground with what you're trying. Again: Talk. It's better.

Actually, if you are the owner of the business and you own the equipment and software licenses, the work that is completed on that equipment using that software is your property. You are providing the infrastructure and you are paying for the labor. It's yours. If you want to plow through the email that individual is writing and reading, you have every right.

Having said that, talk is better. What you can do and what you should do are two different things ;)

As for logging activity, I've heard of:

1. KeystrokeRecorder X 3.1.3
2. MonitorerX Pro

I've used neither, so I can't vouch for their quality or usability.

Quote : If you want to plow through the email that individual is writing and reading, you have every right.

That would very much depend where you are in the world and what published policies your business has. It is a legal minefield, not to mention extremely time consuming to monitor staff this closely. It certainly would involve human rights laws relating to privacy. Then you could easily run foul of discrimination laws if you did not monitor all your employees to the same level.

Tommo said:
Then you could easily run foul of discrimination laws if you did not monitor all your employees to the same level.

That's a very valid point--legally, if you do checks on one, you should do checks on all. But these aren't random checks, they're in response to specific actions.

Maybe you could, instead, send out a blanket statement of policy that all work may be monitored/recorded for review. You could scare them into better behavior without having to do anything.

Yeah, scaring people is always the best way to go. Go ahead, scare them and put them under inhuman pressure. Threaten them with lawsuits and make sure you have all the information you need on their kids and spouses. Just in case. And make sure that you have a healthy work environment that motivates your staff. Sorry. People are crazy... Is it *SO* hard to understand that there are things which are just *wrong* to do? Would you physically hurt your workers if the state and company policy would allow you to?!

Really, this kinda talk is making me angry, guys and gals...

fryke said:
Yeah, scaring people is always the best way to go. Go ahead, scare them and put them under inhuman pressure. Threaten them with lawsuits and make sure you have all the information you need on their kids and spouses. Just in case. And make sure that you have a healthy work environment that motivates your staff. Sorry. People are crazy... Is it *SO* hard to understand that there are things which are just *wrong* to do? Would you physically hurt your workers if the state and company policy would allow you to?!

Really, this kinda talk is making me angry, guys and gals...

Seriously, I don't think anyone suggested that we all wear masks and burn fires outside of our employees' homes. The real issue is that an employee, getting paid to do a job, is not doing that job. To make matters worse, the aforementioned employee is abusing company resources for personal gain. This is stealing! Plain and simple. You wouldn't allow someone to walk out of the building carrying a new G5 in his hand.... (well, both hands, since they're really heavy)

I think if I were stealing from my employer, then received a message or a memo saying, "We're putting cameras in the building because we've had some thefts," then it would motivate me to stop stealing.

It seems this is getting a little off-track from the original request for assitance by darenceang.

Bottom line: You've got to decide what method you think is best to deal with the situation at hand. You *should* talk to the employee about his actions and try to work out the problem. If you have to, you *can* monitor what's going on if you so choose.

Back