Traffic Treshold ??

yachay

Registered
Sup everyone

the last couple of times I turned on the computer it gave me a message saying that the traffic treshold had exceeded 200 MB. I am assuming this is referring to the Mail application but I am probably off by a lot. I'm using Panther and recently it has been running slightly slower. Can this be connected. Is it paranoia, or is someone using my computer to push emails on the web?

bless me with your usual wisdom

Yachay

"Traffic threshold"? Are you sure that was the exact message? Never heard of that one before, can't imagine what it would be for unless it was app-specific (and not likely Mail).

I've done some quick Googles and the only thing I see this maybe related to is some firewall or security software...

I restarted to see it again and it said that my IP address has exceeded the traffic treshold of 200 MB.

you mentioned that it might have something to do with firewall software. I have installed Net Barrier... you think that is it?

And if it is, I wonder what its informing me because it comes every time I start the computer.

yachay said:
Sup everyone

the last couple of times I turned on the computer it gave me a message saying that the traffic treshold had exceeded 200 MB. I am assuming this is referring to the Mail application but I am probably off by a lot. I'm using Panther and recently it has been running slightly slower. Can this be connected. Is it paranoia, or is someone using my computer to push emails on the web?

bless me with your usual wisdom

Yachay

The wording "traffic threshold exceeded 200MB" seemed familiar. I finally remembered where I'd seen it.

Do you have any version of NetBarrier from Intego installed? If so, launch the program, and under PREFERENCES/TRAFFIC you will see an option about "warn if network traffic exceeds" with settings for Incoming, Outgoing,Global and the SIZE in MB of the traffic.

I never used this, but the wording is exactly what you describe.
Good luck.

Guess that's for users with broadband connections that charge after a certain amount of traffic per month has been reached... Actually a nice feature of the FW software, I guess... But not very useful for all the other users. ;-)

Back