'training' Mail

neuby

Registered
Ok, I am confused on the training junk mail filters in the standard mail program.

Clearly, the 'training' mode is where you initially tell mail how to handle junk mail. After that, I switch to automatic - but still recieve occaisional junk mail. If I click on junk while in auto mode, does it remember and add it to its junk filter protocol, or does it just move that one message?

IE, I have been switching back to 'training', and then hitting 'junk' then switching back to auto. Very tedious. Is it necessary?

ADVthanksANCE

I personally have never taken mine out of training. I am waiting to see how it does in the Panther update. Supposed to be exceptional improvements!

Hmmm - if you never take it out of training, what good does it do you, other than colourizing the spam?

Training only seems to help in a limited fashion. The wonderful folks who bring you spam, are very creative with how that junk gets to you. Training is naturally a continuous process, and your filter won't catch everything. And from that point of view, it's probably not worthwhile to train for every piece of junk that slips through! On my personal system, I get about 90% junk that is actually filtered to junk, and I think that's pretty good. You may have different views here. I would be simpler if all the senders operated by the same rules, but.... It's like life, you make it up as you go! :)

I don't know why, my Mail.com account never gets junk mail, although there was a time that a few messages slipped through. I guess the folks who run the site have really good filters installed.

AFAIK, when you flag a message as spam or not spam, Mail learns to identify messages of a similar nature in the same fashion. If it lets through a "Lose fat in 10 days" message and you flag it as spam, it should send "Lose weight in only 72 hours" to your spam box.

Where does the info "learned" go to. The rule for junk mail never changes. It seems that the Mail app would create a new step or "condition" for each piece of junk mail that slips through, adding the name of the server or the sender to the conditions for the Junk Rule.

Back