Transfer old SMS from iphone 3g to iphone 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

DefUnct_UK

Registered
Hi,

I recently got an iPhone 4 to replace my old 3g. Since the 3g had been jailbroken (i needed to keep it usable before i got a new phone) i didn't want to setup the new iphone 4 from an existing backup. Basically i wanted to start fresh.

Since i have my ical, address book, notes and everything else properly synced, this was not an issue, but the one thing i only have on the phone or old backups is my SMS and MMS history.

Is there any way i can move my old sms and mms messages from backup to the new iphone, without having to restore from the old backup completely (ie just want to restore sms / mms) and without having to jailbreak?

I presume iOS 5 message dbs are different, so i would have to restore the iphone 4 form the old backup to convert them, then copy them from ~/Library/../../Mobilesync/XXXX/XXXXX.mddata, then setup again from scratch, insert the convereted sms backupfile into the new fresh backup and restore again?

Any simpler way to do this?

Really just want my messages to be present :)

To transfer old sms and data from iPhone 3g to iPhone 4:
- Connect your old iPhone to iTunes on your PC/Mac and sync
- In the Info menu, ensure your sms are set to sync
- In the iTunes device list: Right click on your iPhone and select 'Backup' from the context menu allow the backup to complete.
- Connect your new iPhone to iTunes (on the same computer you used to back up your current iPhone)
- iTunes will ask you if you want to 'Restore from a backup' or set up your new iPhone as a new phone.
- Select 'Restore from a backup'
- Choose the most recent backup of your current iPhone (if prompted)
- Sync your new iPhone to receive the backup information and your contacts.

- In the iTunes device list: Right click on your iPhone and select 'Backup' from the context menu allow the backup to complete.
- Connect your new iPhone to iTunes (on the same computer you used to back up your current iPhone)
- iTunes will ask you if you want to 'Restore from a backup' or set up your new iPhone as a new phone.

I think you should transfer your sms to pc at first and then transfer your sms to iPhone4 from pc.

Hello, did you import your contacts to from iPhone 3g to iPon4 successfully? As far as I know, you can send the contacts list to your email via iPhone 3g wifi. and login your email on your iPhone 4s, and export this mail to your iPhone 4s . I tried this method, it is effective.

To transfer old sms and data from iPhone to iPhone :

iTunes>Click the iPhone on the left tabs>Info>Contacts>Sync

Last edited:

How to do if didn't have a iTunes back up before?

Last edited:
How to do if didn't have a iTunes back up before?

You can’t restore or transfer information unless you have a backup created from your old phone on iTunes. If you still have the old phone, do a backup now, then connect your new phone to transfer the information.

To transfer old sms and data from iPhone to iPhone :

Will this work with iPhone 4s? Anyways, thanks for sharing I will still try and hope it works.

I leave the program running online backup tool on ios operating system. You can back up your data and then up it up to google drive. when you connect your iPhone to iTunes and iPhone refresh, you download the program back rùi restored by copying from the drive gg.
I think this is the best and most convenient.

Your post only helps Android Phone to iPhone users. That is not what this thread is discussing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back