Transferring large files over the internet...

muzak

Registered
I am using the app iGet (I've even tried Remote Desktop and Chicken of the VNC) and am trying to connect my PB to my wife's PB in another state. I would like to transfer rather large files over the Net without having to deal with the SLOW speeds of iChat File Transfer. We're both using D-Link routers. We both have dynamic IP ISP's, so I have a dyndns hostname for each. I have set up Remote Access on each computer and Remote Desktop in sharing, as well. I also have port 22 forwarded to her PB's LAN IP.

When I attempt to connect, I get a connection timeout - "The remote Mac has refused the connection" or something similar.

Using dynDNS Updater, I have attempted setting the hostname's interface to Airport (the default interface - when that is selected, it shows the registered IP as the PB's LAN IP address) and also tried setting it to "External" (showing the registered IP as the external WAN IP). Don't know for sure which one to select.

It seems to me that, in order for my PB to correctly connect to hers behind her router, it would have to know both the WAN IP and the LAN IP of her PB, in addition to the port (which is 22). Am I wrong?

I know very little about ssh and any kind of command-line stuff. So creating an ssh tunnel is just about out of the question. Is there any way to get this working using the GUI?

(BTW, this was posted in the Usenet section as well. Wasn't sure if it was the same forum... Any admin may remove one of these, if you deem it necessary. Thanks!)

Back