Transmit 2.0 Review

Trip

Registered
I've used Transmit 1.0 for a little over a year now and i must say Panic really knows how to please a specific field of customers with their products! Not only was Transmit 1.0 pleasing to the eye, easy to navigate, and easy to learn but it was also extremely easy to work with multiple websites!

The bad.
After a few computer problems i lost my copy of Transmit 1.0 and so i decided an upgrade couldn't hurt and went straight for the Transmit 2.0 download. After downloading it i quickly installed it and took a look at the interface...what's new? Not much. A nifty toolbar, some drawers, and some more aqua-ie buttons. But that's about it! Not only that but when i went to convert my previous Transmit 1.0 preferences IT WOULDN'T WORK! Now i have no way to access any of my websites and i'm stuck looking for support from the panic team, which i have yet to receive!

The ugly.
After that personal rant i feel as though i should comment on the programming of Transmit itself. And...uh...yeah, that about does it.

The good.
Other than a really swell new icon i'd have to say the best looking item in Transmit 2 would have to be the Read Me document that comes with it. No joke, it's the most well written/plotted Read Me i have ever read! And it was actually the first i ever read! Way to go panic!

Conclusion
It's a great application (minus lack of support for previous versions) and i think if i ever get my favorites back i'll like it even more! But really nothing much has changed, and panic has let me down with this release. Not by much, as i'm sure it runs faster in Jaguar...i just won't know till i get my favorites back.

...Did i mention i can't get my favorites back? Ok, you can flame me now.

Hmmm. I like Transmit quite a bit. And I've got nothing but good things to say about the people at Panic. I've purchased both Audion and Tansmit.

To each his own, I guess.

- Brian

IIRC, my bookmarks were saved across the upgrade.

The biggest thing about the upgrade was that the flakiness of the original OS X version is well and truly gone :)

Ah! Now I finally get why I like Fetch more. :)

I'm rather a prosumer, maybe. :)

Kidding aside, I think that Fetch is the de facto standard for FTP on the Mac. It's been around for so long. Actually, Transmit originally took a lot of Fetch's features. But both have their own quirks. However, I think Fetch is more bare bones, which I like in an FTP application.

Back