"Trap not implemented" error when booting classic

sdepraz

Registered
I have a PowerBook G4, 550. MacOS 10.1.4 installed and MacOS 9.2.2. Both boot normally.
When trying to boot classic environnement from MacOSX, an error occurs right after the MacOS 9.2 logo pop up. The error is (translated from french):

"System error. Trap not implemented. Try booted with shift down to deactivate the extensions".

The problem is occuring since the beginning, I just installed both systems. I tried with shift down, but no result. Restoring PRAM didn't improve.
Where does it come from? Does anybody have experienced that before? Thanks for your replies and help.

Have fun with MacOS X!

Sam

What "Trap Not Implemented" means is that Classic is trying to call a system routine that doesn't exist.

I'm suprised that this is happening on a clean system. I'd guess that you either have a corrupted OS 9 install, or you have some old third party extensions loading.

If OS 9 doesn't have all of the libraries it needs to load (because the install was incomplete or something), that might cause the error too.

Does OS 9 boot ok by itself?

What happens when you boot classic with extensions off (via System Prefs > Classic)?

Since you said this is a clean install, you'll probably need to install OS 9 again.

Also make sure you don't have more than one OS 9 system folder (check in System Prefs > Startup Disk).

- shrill -

having more than one os 9 system folder is not a problem!!

try doing a site search for classic. there are other thtreads that discuss this problem.

Well, it can be a problem, especially if one is broken, and that's the one you're booting to.
:D

OK, I've fixed it. I had to reinstall the whole OS9 system. That work perfectly now.

Thanks guys!

C ya:)

Back