Tried to help a switcher to connect iBook with cable modem used for PC

aaike

bacteria-troubled-brain
I tried a whole evening to get a friends problem with a cable modem connection, but it didn't work.

The problem: he want to use the cable modem of the families PC to connect his iBook to the internet... We just unplug the ethernet cable, looked up the right settings (TCP/IP through DHCP) and while I expected it to work it didn't. (although pinging and ssh-ing from the terminal seemed to work fine, safari didn't)

I also tried with my own iBook and in the beginning it didn't work, but all over a sudden when I opend my I book after dinner it did work (with exactly the same settings). Off course I tried again with my friends iBook, but no use... What I noticed was that in the network control pannel, there was no router number found on my friends iBook, while there was one on mine.

So I was wondering, is there a certain procedure that I/he should follow before he can obtain a connection and in what order?
-restarting cable modem?
-waiting for a certain period of time?
-loging out and in again?
-(re)changing network settings?

Thanks a lot for any help with this!

Well, that's part of the problem... When using DCHP you can't fill this in manually...
As I wrote I expect that there is a certain procedure that I have to follow (of the 4 things I mentioned)... But I don't know what exactly...

Back