Tried to trash a file - Then Kernel

Duddle

Registered
Hi folks,
I'm not sure if i'm in the proper forum but here's my querry. I tried to trash a file and when I was emptying the trash my screen went black with white text. I had a quick look at the message before turning the computer off, all I could see was something about kernels. I got some advice from the forum connected to the site that I downloaded the file from. I was told to re-boot into OS 9 then trash the file which I did and it worked.

Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening again? Any advice much appreciated. :confused:

Duddle,

What's your operating system? OS X?

You probably saw a kernel panic, where the whole OS crashes. In OS X, this is rare. You probably have nothing to worry about.

Doug

I have exactly the same problem. I actually reinstalled the system when i had this problem before, because it wouldn't let up. 10 hrs work! Well it has come back now.... I assumed that it was a problem with ownership, so i went through all the files to be trashed and checked them and changed any that didn't have the correct owner. The computer still crashes, with a message saying that the computer must be restarted and the number of the network card at the bottom. VERY strange. Nothing wrong with the hardware either, which I thought, at first. Then one time, the computer, while restarting from the crash, restarted again by itself, and the trash wwas empty. However, the next time i tried to empty it, crash again. I have run COCKTAIL, and force emptied using this, and then a crash, repaired disk permissions, run disk utility. Everything... I don't know what to do when I can't empty the trash! None of the items to be tossed are system files of any sort, they are files i don't need anymore, like text, sit files, downloads that I didn't need, etc.
System 10.2.5, 867 G4 single processor, and 1 GB RAM. 400 GB hard drives in total.

cheers
Bert

Originally posted by dktrickey
Duddle,

What's your operating system? OS X?

You probably saw a kernel panic, where the whole OS crashes. In OS X, this is rare. You probably have nothing to worry about.

Doug

Hello dktrickey,

OSX 10.1.5.
It has happened twice since my original post, it only happens when I try to trash large files. I re-boot into OS 9.2.2 and it trashes no problem.

All the best
Duddle.

Coincidentally,

Just after I replied to your message, my machine panicked :(.

Have you repaired your permissions ("/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility")?

Doug

I had this problem as well just booted to single user mode (hold down CMD+S when booting) and deleted the file from there worked a treat.

tobes

Back