Trouble connecting iBook G4 to wireless network

davidcollins001

Registered
I have recently (2 weeks ago) purchased a new iBook G4 (with Tiger 10.4.2), and for the most part I am very pleased with it. However, I have an issue with the wireless connecting to the internet via a 3rd party (Belkin) wireless router. I have been through the Apple discussion forum, and through all the support pages to try to fix this problem none have solved the issue.

When the security is switched off I can connect without a problem with excellent signal strength. I have been connected previously. I spent a lot of time re-entering the password it did finally connect, but when I disconnected it I could not rejoin.

I have tried the following: network setup assistant, it says the password is invalid - I was very careful entering it, I have tried changing the network password several times, changing the security to see if this helps, moving my computer to closer to the base station, using "__" for the ascii password and $ for the hex, using internet connect, internet connection tools in system preferences.

Please advise me what I can do to solve this problem, there are two other windows XP laptops using the same wireless network.

There has been discussion on the forum with the level of encryption with third party routers, especially Linksys. One solution people have found useful is to decrease the level of encryption (password) on the router for the iBook to work. This is why you can connect without a password on the network. Try a lower encryption, this should work.

Thanks for your quick reply. I am using the lowest security already, and the guy who has his name to the internet doesn't want to use it with no security.

There must be some solution because I had it connected for a few days soon after I got it.

Have you double checked all of the settings on your router? Have you tried upgrading the firmware on your router? I had the same problems with my Linksys router until I upgraded its firmware and reset all of the security settings.

Back