Trouble connecting to home wireless

AysKan

Registered
Hello,

I've been having a problem connecting to the wireless network at home on my old Powerbook G4. The computer has a maximum-strength signal from the 2WIRE network but 99% of the time can't connect to the internet. The strangest thing is that once in awhile it can open web pages. I've tried every suggestion I've found online, to no avail. Also, when I brought the Powerbook into the "Genius Bar" today, the computer had no problem connecting to the in-store wireless network - so I assume it's a problem with my network at home. However, there are three other computers here, none of which have any problem connecting to and using the wireless network.

Ideas that have not worked include using the airport utility or airport setup assistant, as well as re-entering the password as 40-bit hex. I've already moved AirPort to the top of the network port configurations in network preferences as well as creating a new location there. I'm sure I've tried other things, but I can't remember all of them. Anyway nothing has worked. The OS is 10.2.8.

Any suggestions? Thank you so much.

2 things have worked for me. One is putting a $ in front of the WEP key. And the other is ensuring that your WEP contains both letters and numbers. I know I had to change mine, as I only had numbers and I couldn't connect. Once I replaced a few numbers with letters, voila!, it connected fine. Good luck.

Back