trouble deleting Stuffit

crodog856

Registered
Hi,
I'm a new user of OS X. I updated my stuffit expander to 6.5. When I try to empty the trash with the old stuff it 6.0 in it, I get an error. It reads:

"The operation cannot be completed because you do not have sufficient privileges for 'Japanese.lproj'."

How do I delete this program?

Thank you for any help you could offer.

That folder probably has a locked file or two in it. The OS 9 trick of holding down Option while emptying the trash will not work in OS X. You need to open a Show Info window for each of the files, and uncheck any checked Locked boxes.

Hi!

I had he same problem when I tried to throw away Stuffit Expander 6.0. Like <b>testuser</b> said you don't have sufficient permissions, which means that you are not allowed to edit or remove that particular file. You can change the permissions of the file by using the command-line tool <b>chmod</b> or by using the shell script <b>testuser</b> suggested. Or, if you're not feeling confident enough to mess around with BSD commands and the terminal, you can download BatChmod; a small utility that lets you change file permissions and even force empty the trash. You can find BatChmod here:
http://www.versiontracker.com

There's a quick workaround - boot up into OS 9, find the file 'Japanese.lproj' and then Get Info. You should be able to uncheck the 'Locked' checkbox, then move the file into the Trash and delete it. It's a bit of a hastle booting into OS 9 but it's by far the simplest way to delete this without any UNIX savy or downloading software.

Back