Trouble installing AIM on Mac

lizmv86

Registered
So today I created a new screen name to download AIM under but when I went to the AIM webpage it automatically logged me in as my original screen name...which is rather minor considering after I decided to continue the download under this sn...the file wouldn't open. It would download just fine (AIM 4.7), but then when I click it to begin the installation I get this message "QuickTime cannot open the file: "aim.bin" it is not a file that QuickTime understands (-2048). So then I downloaded an earlier version of AIM 4.3 which asked me to choose an application to open it under (which I had no clue..so skipped). After these unsuccessful attempts I researched a bit and I learned it would simply be best to download Adium anyways. However when I did this, it would dowsnload and I would click but still get a new message stating "The following disk images could not be recogonized" and listed below was Adium! Sooooo, I'm basically frustrated but still wanting to get either get AIM or Adium on my computer. Any help that is provided will be greatly apprectiated! Thanks.

Btw, I'm using an Emac which uses Mac OS X Tiger, 10.4... if that means anything.

So today I created a new screen name to download AIM under but when I went to the AIM webpage it automatically logged me in as my original screen name...which is rather minor considering after I decided to continue the download under this sn...the file wouldn't open. It would download just fine (AIM 4.7), but then when I click it to begin the installation I get this message "QuickTime cannot open the file: "aim.bin" it is not a file that QuickTime understands (-2048). So then I downloaded an earlier version of AIM 4.3 which asked me to choose an application to open it under (which I had no clue..so skipped). After these unsuccessful attempts I researched a bit and I learned it would simply be best to download Adium anyways. However when I did this, it would dowsnload and I would click but still get a new message stating "The following disk images could not be recogonized" and listed below was Adium! Sooooo, I'm basically frustrated but still wanting to get either get AIM or Adium on my computer. Any help that is provided will be greatly apprectiated! Thanks.

Btw, I'm using an Emac which uses Mac OS X Tiger, 10.4... if that means anything.

Although Adium is nice, it's somewhat simpler to use iChat, which supports AIM accounts.

... It would download just fine (AIM 4.7), but then when I click it to begin the installation I get this message "QuickTime cannot open the file: "aim.bin" it is not a file that QuickTime understands (-2048). ...
If you don't have it, download and install Stuffit Expander. If you have it, use the File/Get Info dialog box to associate the file with Stuffit Expander.

Yay!!!!! I set up Ichat and it actually worked!!!! So now I'm online and that has just made my day!

However, I do want to get the Stuffit Expander working because it seems like that would help in downloading pictures from online (which I'v never been able to do btw) so yay here's what I've done thus far... I downloaded StuffItExpander11.dmg and then highlighted it and clicked "File:Get Info" and chose to "Open With" Stuffit Expander which changed the icon to something cooler looking but still didnt work after I attempted to open it. Once I clicked on it I got this new message "The file 'StuffItExpander11.dmg' does not appear to be compressed or encoded. It is advised that you obtain further information about the contents of this file from the sender or provider of the file" and then underneath that in smaller print it said "It will help to know what program created the file and what operating system(s) the file can be used on." All of this is a bit confusing to myself b/c I thought the StuffitExpander was supposed to do the compressing or encoding yada yada. Well, hopefully one of you has a suggestion or idea...please let me know anyhow. Thank you sooo much!!!!!

A .dmg file is a temporary file that needs to be decompressed. Once you download a .dmg file, double click it and it will mount a temporary white hard disk image. Once that comes up if the image holds an actual program, drag and drop the program to tour Applications folder. Then it is installed on your computer. If inside the white temp hard disk is an installer, just double click it to launch the automatic installer and it will walk you through an install.

Well, when i click on the icon it states that it needs to be compressed...it doesnt turn into a hard disk image...and when dragged into applications nothing changes I just get the same message

Back