Trouble installing upgrade

cory1848

Registered
Installing Tiger last night over Panther 10.3.8 everything goes good until the end where I get a Install did not complete, please try again error. I tried this twice with the same error. First time I had trouble rebooting and had to reboot using option to choose the start up disk....after the second time there are no apparent issues. I updated with Software update to 10.4.1 and everything seems good. Seems a little slow though. I have a dual 867 G4 with 1.25 gigs of ram. From what I had read, I might have a memory issue with third party memory? My question is, should I try and reinstall again after removing the ram? or should i be ok as is? The install seemed to fail after all the languages finished installing...not sure what is after that? Optimization maybe?

fryke

Staff member
Mod
Quite probably, yes... It basically _should_ be fine. However, if you can, I'd back all things up and try a clean install. Or first, if you have a FW drive or something, try installing on that and see if that works better... Also "seems a little slow though" could be due to Spotlight still indexing your drive(s). Or can you specify _what's_ slow, exactly?

cory1848

Registered
fryke said:
Quite probably, yes... It basically _should_ be fine. However, if you can, I'd back all things up and try a clean install. Or first, if you have a FW drive or something, try installing on that and see if that works better... Also "seems a little slow though" could be due to Spotlight still indexing your drive(s). Or can you specify _what's_ slow, exactly?
Slow is possibly due to the indexing...The drive is partitioned into 2 sections...60 gigs for storage with Panther loaded...and 100 gigs used for all my apps and main drive. Total about 50 gigs used. How would suggest I back up 50 gigs of data? Any "easy" tools to help me with that that would include all my apps? Having to reinstall all my apps would take a weekend and I am not looking forward to that. IS it possible to do a clean install on only one partition? I was under the assumption the drive gets wiped and then one has to re partition the drive again...
No firewire drive at all to test...I have a jaguar drive but that is my last resort back up and I am not touching that one...
If there were some kind of utility that would back up everything except system files, I would be set...

I was going to download Cocktail tonight and run that to double check stuff...IS that recommended? Everything passes Disk Utility...

fryke

Staff member
Mod
Cocktail runs fine in the newest version, I hear. You _can_ clean install onto one of two volumes on the same harddrive. You erase the volume, not the drive. You can also use Archive & Install, which doesn't erase the drive but gives you a clean system to start with.