Trouble turning on Windows File Sharing

mjaco320

Registered
When I click the Start button to turn on Windows File Sharing, nothing happens. Does anyone have any thoughts?

You're posting at the wrong forum :) ?
Seriously:
Here are pasages from a pdf I downloaded a while ago:

STEP 1.Under Windows NT/2000 desktop click Start, Settings, Control Panel, Users and Passwords.
Since the white checkbox (below) is not selected or checked, the system will simply boot up under
one username all the time. You would log off the desktop and back on in order to use other user
accounts. This is nice for home users but is not as secure, obviously. The other distinction is that with
this box not checked you cant modify or add new users. Notice the "Add" button is greyed out. We will
discuss that in the next example. But as you see here the only username with Administrator Group
privelages is the one named "Administrator".

STEP 2. Now we will examine the windows network settings. Right click on the desktop icon "My
Computer" and select "properties". Then click the "Network Identification" tab. Notice the full computer
name is wfh330997. Also the workgroup is assigned the name "HOMELAN". This is also the place to
change these settings if needed. These are the settings assigned by the user during the windows
operating system installation. It is helpful if all of the PCs on your private network have the same
workgroup name. A workgroup is only designed to easily network a small number of computers with
pretty good security. Domains are used to maintain larger groups of computers with more rigid
security. I don't use domains here.

STEP 3: Use the command prompt on the windows system to ping the IP of the OSX system which
can be found in the network controls on OSX. Then open the network utility on the OSX system and
ping the IP addy of the windows 2000 system. Prove they can see one another physically. The
windows 2000/NT ip number is seen by opening a command prompt window and typing "IPCONFIG
/ALL".
STEP 4: On OSX connect the the shares. Use the Apple+K key combination or on the finder bar select
GO then Connect To Server. Then type in the address box smb:\\wfh330997\c$ Then press connect
button. Then type homelan in the domain/workgroup box, type administrator in the username box, type
the password in the password box and click OK.
STEP5: You should now have an icon on your desktop labeled c$.
STEP6: Do delete this new icon from your OSX desktop and undo this mapping, simply control+select
the icon and eject.
TIP: I could not get them to share by IP like windows systems can, for example
smb://192.168.1.107/c$ did not work. Said no file share services available.

Thanks for the post, but my problem is starting SMB/CIFS in Mac OS 10.2. In the Sharing preference pane there you can select what file sharing services to activate. One of the choices is Windows File Sharing. When I click on Start to activate the service, nothing happens.

Connecting to other PC's on my network is no problem. I need to be able to connect to my Mac from my PC. I was using Samba Server, but removed it b/c 10.2 has it built in.

Sorry if my initial message was too vague...

Back