trouble w/ accessing internet

iknownotwhoiam

Registered
i am using an iBook dual USB and i am connected to the net by through a shared internet connection and a router. i have the settings for the network to use DHCP. the computer gets an IP number and shows the correct IP # of the router. when i ping the computer sharing the connection (192.168.0.1) it works just fine. but i cannot access any website or check my mail. any ideas about what's wrong?
axel.

yes. my roommate is able to access the net. so i am assuming that it not a problem w/ the shared connection but something wrong with my iBook.

I had the same problem when I was connecting an iMac to a Win2K box. I got around it by changing the IP address of the Win2K box from 192.168.0.1 to 10.0.0.1 -- I am not sure why it had problems with the default IP, I'm not a networking guru. Obviously, I changed the router number on the iMac also...

HTH

can you access websites by entering their IP? DHCP problems often are name server problems. what have you entered into the nameserver field? it *should* work with nothing entered, but try entering the router if the router can forward DNS calls. if not, try entering the DNS of your ISP manually...

i have tried entering my ISP's DNS servers and it still is not working. i am at a loss as to what the problem is. i just woke it up from sleep one day and it stopped working. does anyone else have anymore ideas?

This is a Linksys router? After having set up Linksys and SMC routers under OS X, I will only buy SMC for now on. I love mine. I had a lot of problems with the Linksys I set up on someone's Mac. If I went into the settings with IE, it would lose its Internet connection. Rebooting the machine would restore it. Good thing the guy has no reason to go into the Linksys config.

So, assuming all the settings in the Linksys setup are correct, try shutting down the computer and the router, then turning back on the router and then the computer.

Back