Trouble with Fire and MSN Instant Messenger

Amie

Mac Convert for Life
I use Fire. I have three accounts: AIM, Yahoo and MSN. AIM and Yahoo connect and work fine, but MSN always disconnects. I log in through Fire and every five or ten minutes, I'm working in another window, then I check Fire and I see "Offline" beside my MSN handle. I keep having to reconnect frequently. It's a pain.

Anyone know what the problem could be?

Sorry, I don't know what the problem could be as I've never used Fire, but fwiw, I've never had this problem with Adium, so you might consider that alternative.

For how long has this been going on? Could it just be that they're having problems with their server? (Although, as I said, I use Adium and I haven't had any disconnects at all recently.)

Sorry, I don't know what the problem could be as I've never used Fire, but fwiw, I've never had this problem with Adium, so you might consider that alternative.

For how long has this been going on? Could it just be that they're having problems with their server? (Although, as I said, I use Adium and I haven't had any disconnects at all recently.)

Thank you for your input. Yeah, I've heard of Adium, and I actually installed it a while back, but I uninstalled it after I found Fire because I liked the user interface better than Adium. Maybe I'll give Adium another whirl...

Fire's development has been stopped. Some of Fire's people now work on Adium. Adium has a nice import-feature for Fire's prefs.

Ah ... maybe that's why I've been having problems with Fire lately. Never had any problems before (before they stopped working on it, that is). Good to know! Definitely going to give Adium a try. Thanks!

I want to thank you for reminding me about Adium. I installed in a couple days ago and have been using it ever since. With no connection problems on any of my accounts. :)

Last edited by fryke : April 27th, 2007 at 06:19 AM. Reason: (No need to quote the message right above your own post, since everyone expects you're answering that one...)

Not necessarily. But thank you. :)

And thanks to all you Adium advocates. Been using Adium ever since my previous post in this thread, and it works great for all my chat accounts!

I hadn't realized that Fire was no more. :eek:

I use MSN Messenger and it loggs me off every 5 mins. Happens to all my friends, even on Windows... I think something is wrong with their servers, because sometimes I'm in a convo, then the person I write to won't reply. After 2 mins, MSN says: "The connection has been lost". Great!

Back