Troubles with 10.1.1

efoivx

Registered
Has anyone else experienced trouble after the 10.1.1 update?

Here is my situation,

After the 10.1.1 update severl issues appeared.

1. files / folders on the desktop with names that are long leave artifacts after moving them around the desktop.

try this as the name of a folder vkdfjnvflkwjpbhoiheorge;orngeorwignerwoignegwo[eirwgner[gin[egna this creates a nice mess. I have confirmed this on 3 different machines.

here is a sample of what it does.
dtshmutz.jpg

2. I find that network operations are much slower.
mounting shares on my local network take forever on the machines updated to 10.1.1

this is the applescript I use to mount the shares at startup

mount volume "afp://192.168.1.200/Publik" as user name "xxxx" with password "xxxxxxxx"
mount volume "afp://192.168.1.200/Projekts" as user name "xxxx" with password "xxxxxxxxx"
mount volume "afp://192.168.1.200/17g" as user name "xxxx" with password "xxxxxxxxxxx"
mount volume "afp://192.168.1.200/Eddie" as user name "xxxx" with password "xxxxxxxxx"

prior to the 10.1.1 update this ran and mounted very quickly. now it takes over a minute to mount the shares.

Is there a better way to mount shares?

3. I have noticed the Finder seems slightly less stable. quiting unexpectedly with no notice afterwards.

4. MSIE feels more slugish.

I wiped the X partition and reinstalled 10.1 and everything worked great again. I ran this way for a week then tried the 10.1.1 update again and all problems return.

I witnessed this on 2 other machines here. and confirmed that a friend of mine also noticed problems after the 10.1.1 update
similar to mine, he had finder quits slugish perfomance, icons on the dt leave a mess behind when moved.

I have already reported in with Apple feedback.

I just wanted to see what others here are finding with the 10.1.1 update. compare notes and see if anyone knows what I may be able to do differently.

I am about to reinstall again and NOT update to 10.1.1 I'll wait to see what happens next.

Let me know what your experiences where / are like

cheers
Eddie

I've had the EXACT same problems (except 3). That "artifact" thing happens to me even with a file name as short as "stuff.sit." I'm on a PowerMac G4 400MHz (Sawtooth) with OS 10.1.1, 512MB of RAM, and AirPort.

No problems with my 10.1.1 update. I updated from 10.0.4 using Apple's update CD available for free at CompUSA. I have a Blue & White PowerMac G3, 500MHz, 768MB RAM.

chemistry_geek

Actually I had never noticed the desktop artifact business, since I usually use short filenames.

One of these days, I will get around to making a full install version of 10.1 from the update CD, and get rid of 10.1.1 (I don't feel like reinstalling 10.0, then 10.1... ). I just hope the updater won't refuse to do future updates without first updating the OS.

I just finished a complete reinstall of X it usually only takes about 10 minutes to install... IF

You choose to format the destination drive / partition and choose custom install and deselect all the laguages you don't need. I just install english and it installs very fast!

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with this problem.

Please Please Please send apple feedback about this so it can be corrected in the next update.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/feedback/

cheers

Back