Troubleshoot: Burning 2 movies to 1 DVD using Toast

adobtan

Registered
Hi all!

I'm trying to put 2 full movie files (MP4's, total running time just under 4 hours) onto 1 DVD player-friendly DVD using Toast 7 Titanium. I thought the handy "Fit-to-DVD video compression" option would make this easy, but no luck. Note: Still running Tiger.

Steps I took:

(1) In the Toast video tab, I dropped in my 2 files. Selected the DVD-Video option on the left panel.
(2) Then I created a disk image (just under 6GBs on my hard drive).
(3) I dragged the disk image into Toast under the copy tab and checked the box for "Fit-to-DVD video compression".
(4) Inserted standard blank DVD and hit burn. Got the standard error message that there is not enough space on the disc.

Did "Fit-to-DVD video compression" not do it's job here?
Is there another step I must take?

From Googling, I've discovered that a lot of people have good luck with "Fit-to-DVD video compression" when burning from a VIDEO_TS folder in video tab on Toast.

Of course, I do not have a VIDEO_TS folder for these 2 files, as they were encoded using Handbrake.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited:
First solution: Buy a Dual Layer DVD to write the files to. This will fit your files as they currently exist. And many modern Macs have a DVD writer capable of writing to these.

Second solution: re-encode your MP4's to fit on a single layer disk. Since you don't have the source Video TS material, you could use the latest version of Handbrake to re-encode your files to VCD (Video CD) or DivX, both of which will likely play on most modern home DVD players. The resulting files will likely fit onto once single layer DVD disc.

Back