Truncated/missing files with shares- Tiger with Windows 2K3 Server

maria.mojo

Registered
I have a new G5 (Tiger) and am using AFP to map shares from our office server (running Windows Server 2003). Using AFP is truncating longer file names to 8 characters: ex.(File name on windows box "Production - Client Management" looks like "PR01B6~1" on the mac)

Also, some files or folders do not even show up.

It seems that to avoid this, I need to connect via SMB, however, I can't get the connection to authenticate. The dreaded "Could not connect to server because the name or password is incorrect." message.

If anyone has an alternative or a fix, it would be GREATLY APPRECIATED.

I've tried several things I've found on various forums that haven't been successful, so I'm hoping for better luck here.

Thanks so much!
maria.mojo

Using SMB, I've tried to connect many ways SMB:\\ip, SMB:\\servername, SMB:\\servername\sharename and a few others that are even more specific...

All are successfull in that the computer sees the network, but it won't accept my username and password...I've read something about this where it says that you have to disable SMB signing on the server, but this is not an option.

If I can get AFP to correctly display file names and to show ALL the files (some don't appear) then I'll use that....I just need to be able to have the shares mounted at all times, b/c of very frequent use.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

what has worked for me in the past:

smb://servername/share

then domain name
user name
password in the box

Enter.

Sorry, I got my slashes wrong (pre-lunchtime :D )... i'm typing smb:// (etc.....)

I have tried your suggestion, and it fails.

Again, I am able to connect apparently, here's the message that pops up:
SMB/CIFS File System Authentication
Enter the workgroup or domain and your user name and password to access the server "servername here".

Then it has three fields, one for workgroup or domain, name, and password. When I hit "okay" that's when I'm getting the error that my Username or Password is incorrect. (but it isn't) :(

Not sure what to do.

Back