Trustix Secure Linux 2.0 Released

legacyb4

Registered
Now, while I know this is really an OS X board, I'm a firm believer of keeping up and using multiple server technologies to keep on or even ahead of the curve. After all, a "know thine enemy" mindset is no more appropriate than for us folks managing OS X servers to know exactly what the strengths and weaknesses are for the platform we prefer to use.

That out of the way, Trustix Secure Linux 2.0 has just been recently released and contains all the latest revs of various server applications under its hood. If you are looking for a resource-light, feature-rich server Linux distribution, I can recommend this one as the folks there have done a nice job in putting things together.

Install, configure a user account with sudo rights, set, and forget as management of the server is 100% through SSH and/or the command console. It's definitely not for Linux newbies, but for those of you who are feeling familiar on the command line, it's a great way to offload some of the more mundane network server tasks onto a cheap PC.

Enjoy!

Not a Linux "dude" per say; my preference of platform without question is OS X, but as I said in my opening statement, I believe that being a well-rounded sysadmin put us in a better position to tackle any task...

Originally posted by wiz
are u a linux dude? o_O... hmm.

well i have a question..
which do u think is the best Linux distro available. (for x86, or ppc)

I wish I was better qualified to say what was "best"...

I've taste-tested as many of the desktop Linux distros that I could download and had patience to install, and I'd have to say that the latest Mandrake distro is pretty friendly.

However, I have no interest in really using Linux on the desktop at this point as my Mac fulfills that need 100% so I never got past general poking and prodding. I'm a little more interested in using a secure, light distro for backend server uses and that's what led me to Trustix. I used to run a reasonably trafficked website on Engarde Linux for about a year until I switched over to 10.2 Server, but I'm always looking for an equivalent, non-Windows, x86-compatible server OS to have handy that I can get up and running easily and without too much sweat.

Cheers.

Originally posted by wiz
well i have a question..
which do u think is the best Linux distro available. (for x86, or ppc)

Haven't gotten around to trying it though I'm sure it would be interesting to do; basically, it's a matter of having enough free time.

Not quite sure where you are going with this thread; my original intention was just to point out that there is a new release of a packaged Linux system that I had hands-on experience with which interested folks could get up and running with a minimum fuss and time investment. I was not really intending to promote nor debate the ins and outs of "which Linux is better"...

Cheers.

Originally posted by wiz
what about darwin?

hi legacyb4,
maybe you can help me. recently i installed mandrake 9.1 (or maybe its just mandrake 9...) on my G3 (beige)
but the install could not configure my graphic card. it is an ati rage. when i type startx i would be just dropped back into the command line . i got some better results using the xfree drivers but the picture looked terrible
....any ideas ?

Back