trying to connect to win server from mac

digijeff101

Registered
Trying to connect multiple [entire office] Macs running OS X 10.4.11 to a Windows Server. I can connect easily via network ethernet cable on my MAC laptop running OS X 10.5. The server is running Windows 2003.

I found an article suggesting I clear the keychain on each MAC but am hesitant to do this - don't want to destroy passwords, data or other info stored there.
Also read a possible Terminal fix but I'm not familiar with that.

Not code literate.
I need a fix ASAP - today... please

We need more information about your setup and what, exactly, you're trying to do.

When you say, "Trying to connect multiple [entire office] Macs running OS X 10.4.11 to a Windows Server," what, exactly are you trying to do? Connect to file shares on the server? Connect to printer queues on the server? Connect to an Exchange server? Bind the Macs to an Active Directory domain?

If file shares, then all you need to do is select "Go" from the Finder menu, then select "Connect to Server." Then, type in "smb://[ip address of server]" where [ip address of server] is the IP address of the server (or, alternatively, you could replace [ip address of server] with the network name and domain of the server, like "server1.domain.local").

If you're trying to connect to printer queues on the server, then you would do that via the "Print & Fax" pane of the System Preferences.

If you're trying to bind the Mac desktops to an AD domain, then you need to visit the many options in the "Directory Utility" (located in /Applications/Utilities on the Macs).

Also, if you're not the server admin (i.e., have access to user accounts, administrator passwords, etc.), then now would be the time to get him/her involved in this endeavor. He/she will be able to give you valuable information that you may need in order to "connect" whatever you're trying to connect to the server.

Back