Trying to convert my wife...

cbmeeks

Registered
As I had mentioned on my previous threads I have a mac loaner for about a year. Would like my wife to fall in love with it to help justify us buying our own. :-D

Anyway, here is what my wife uses on the PC:

1) Yahoo Messenger (got it for Mac)

2) Upload baby pics to website (will find something for Mac)

3) Email (dur...)

4) Browsing (got her on FireFox for Mac)

5) PrintShop (for calendars, greeting cards, red-eye removal, etc)

6) Few on-line games

And that's about it!

So, I got them all except number 5. I bought her PrintShop but would like something as good or better for the Mac. I know I could buy it again but since this is a loaner computer I am trying to keep my costs down.

Thanks!

cb

One thing you might like to be aware of is that Yahoo! Messenger is a joke on the Mac platform. It's about four revisions behind the Windows release.

It will really be a step backward for most people. It also crashes regularly (but only when using webcams)

texanpenguin said:
One thing you might like to be aware of is that Yahoo! Messenger is a joke on the Mac platform. It's about four revisions behind the Windows release.

It will really be a step backward for most people. It also crashes regularly (but only when using webcams)

Well, I hate Yahell anyway...lol

When I get in that mood once a year to chat online, someone always thinks they are god and decides to crash my Yahoo...even in Windows with the newest version...damn punks. lol

cb

Adium might be a good replacement for Yahoo Messenger. It's multi protocol, so MSN, ICQ, Yahoo and AIM all work in one app.

What's wrong with Safari? Or are you using an OS version that won't run Safari?

scruffy said:
Adium might be a good replacement for Yahoo Messenger. It's multi protocol, so MSN, ICQ, Yahoo and AIM all work in one app.

What's wrong with Safari? Or are you using an OS version that won't run Safari?

Thanks, I will try Adium when I upgrade my Mac this week to 10.2 (running 10.1.5 now).

I don't have anything against Safari...just never used it. I ditched IE for Windows about a year ago for FireFox and haven't looked back. So, my natural instinct was FireFox for the Mac.

What are the pros/cons for Safari vs FireFox?

Does your wife have a friend with a Mac. If so team up.

We have three kids with one being an 8-month old. We have no friends. lol

cbmeeks

cbmeeks said:
What are the pros/cons for Safari vs FireFox?
Stick with Firefox:
  1. More web sites develop/test using Firefox *
  2. OpenSource = faster development cycle + more updates
  3. Extensions!!!
  4. Cool cred with your buds
  5. * Displays MacOSX.com with only a few stupid anomolies

If you're going to go with a Mozilla based browser, you might want to check out Camino - I find it more elegant on OS X than Firefox. It hasn't got all the extensions that Firefox has though, that's true.

cbmeeks said:
...I will try Adium when I upgrade my Mac this week to 10.2 (running 10.1.5 now)....
There is a big part of your problem! You need to be running Panther (10.3) not 10.1 or even 10.2. There are major improvements and enhancements between 10.1 and 10.2 and even more between it and Panther. The latest and best versions of Safari, and other browsers, won't run in 10.1 and in some cases not in 10.2. I strongly suspect your wife, and you, would find Panther a much stronger inducement to make the move to the Mac. When Tiger ships, supposedly sometime between now and the end of June, it will be almost a different world from 10.1. Your wife probably cannot even imagine the ways she would likely use the Mac if she had these later OS versions. At least my wife couldn't.
:D

perfessor101 said:
There is a big part of your problem! You need to be running Panther (10.3) not 10.1 or even 10.2. There are major improvements and enhancements between 10.1 and 10.2 and even more between it and Panther. The latest and best versions of Safari, and other browsers, won't run in 10.1 and in some cases not in 10.2. I strongly suspect your wife, and you, would find Panther a much stronger inducement to make the move to the Mac. When Tiger ships, supposedly sometime between now and the end of June, it will be almost a different world from 10.1. Your wife probably cannot even imagine the ways she would likely use the Mac if she had these later OS versions. At least my wife couldn't.
:D

I am going to 10.2 because I bought it for $14 and I can't afford Panther. :)

Plus, this is not my Mac. Later this year, when I buy my own Mac, I will of course get Tiger.

Thanks!

cb

Hey, poke fun if you like.

I see it this way, I have spent a grand total of $14.56 and I have a Dual 1Ghz Mac with 1G ram, 80G HD, SuperDrive and OS X 10.2

Sure, I have to give it up...in a YEAR...but, I think it was a smart move on my part.

:-D

cb

cbmeeks I am not poking fun. I just find it dismal that people will sell something for a meger $14.

Put it this way, when I buy 10.4, I'll send you free my 10.3 and you can spend the $14 on your wife. ;)

From what I hear the smart move also involves saving to buy a Mac. :D

Cheers

aicul said:
cbmeeks I am not poking fun. I just find it dismal that people will sell something for a meger $14.

Put it this way, when I buy 10.4, I'll send you free my 10.3 and you can spend the $14 on your wife. ;)

From what I hear the smart move also involves saving to buy a Mac. :D

Cheers

hmmm...dismal? Well, that I don't know. I guess it would be like getting a PC and spending $14.56 on Windows 2000. Sure, XP is better. But saving my money won't help. I don't have $130 now...and I won't have it a year from now. Well, I probably will...but right now...I just can't justify it.

Besides, it doesn't matter any more anyway. The guy that loaned me this Mac forgot to mention HE bought 10.3 and had the discs with him. :-/

So, even though I "wasted" $14.56, I now have 10.3.8 on this Mac. All is well. :)

Go ahead and send me 10.3 when you get 10.4....I will sell it for $30 and put that towards my wife...lol

Oh, her BDay is next month...so, I will be spending more than $14. :p

cb

Back