Trying to convice my school to use MacOS X instead of PC

MacFreak

Chic Not Geek
I have explained to my boss about it.. I need your help what I got email from my boss.

Boss:
I believe the problem is that with the OS 10, significant software programs that we have that work in 0S 9 will no longer work, requiring the sch to purchase updated copies of many expensive programs. This would not be afforable, and that is the reason the school will not support the purchase of the OS 10 system. That, at least, is my understanding. If there are any OS 10 systems, they would have to be stand-along systems, and not connected the the ASDB network; at least that is my understanding.

Do you have better answer to this? If you have better answer he will decide to buy new Mac and OS X

Thanks!

Dumb question: what's an ASDB network? Is your school using localtalk cabling?

Many OS9 programs will run in Classic mode, and many more have relatively inexpensive upgrades or substitutes.

Apple is famous for their educational discounts; be sure to check them out.

In any case, if you go with PCs, you can be 100% sure that you'll have to replace ALL your software!

ASDB using lan network.

They are thinking about buy all new pc to replace. I told them no beacuse mac have better feature tha pc. We have about 80 percent of macintosh on campus. I already told them about eMac for $799. I need something strong information that will impact my boss that Mac is best choice for school.

Thanks

How about the viruses and worms causing havoc right now with PC's that won't affect a Mac.

More secure.

Simplicity in Networking the machines.

Simple upkeep, low maintenance.

Check out Mac Vs. PC. It's got lots and lots of reasons that Mac is better for education than PC, including ease of use, better learning and far lower mainenance costs.

Try to get him to read the entire thing, though this will take some time. If he does, he should see why Macs are better than PC's.

No need to upgrade most apps. Most run is OS X.

OS X is VERY network friendly.

Mac ed prices are reasonably competitive.

There ya go. Your boss is misinformed.

Doug

BobW listed the best bunch of arguments I can think of.

SECURITY

Especially on a campus, you need security. Protecting students AND protecting your own network against a few elements. Many students may be able to pirate, crack down a PC network quite quickly. This won't happen with Macintosh.

SIMPLICITY

Network often rhymes with big sh!tty mess of cables and programs and privileges and the such. Your boss needs something as simple as possible, in such a way network problems don't require three days and eighteen on the phone with the assistance guy to be solved. Simplicity is on the Macintosh side.

UPKEEP

I won't enter the subject too much, I'm no expert - but it SEEMS to me to what I have read and heard that upkeeping Apple machines is really nothing compared to what PC machines need. As far as I know, Macintosh turnover is 50% longer as IBM. Slight drawback is, if your eMac stops reading CDs, you must send the whole Mac to assistance, while PC would simply ask you for the CD drive alone. But again, probability of having a problem on an eMac is not the same as on a standard PC. Please check all this, or ask the others around here.

The Stanford University also has a nice "Which one fits me better, Mac or PC" webpage, if I recall well.

About the upkeep issue - In about five years (I've had an iMac ever since the 233mhz early model) the only trouble I have had with either of my iMacs was the CD drive breaking on my old iMac with a tray loading drive. The first iMac ran OS 9, and it crashed a few times ( a day even ), but since I got OS X I have had virtually no problems with the OS or the computer. By no means has my iMac been in a school computer lab, being used eight hours a day non stop, but it has been used fairly often by a family of five.

Only problem that we have all 9 program. We only have two 15" iMac with MacOS X. Our school didnt want to spend $$ replacing new program for MacOS X. I am going to write up and explain that MacOS X allow any old program to run on MacOS X should be no problem.

actually it's better if they get all new software for osx only. cuz i think classic support in osx might end.

Rest assured, Classic support isn't going to end for quite some time.

Macfreak: Which specific OS 9 programs do you use, and do you know for a fact that they can't be used in OS X via Carbon or Classic? The eMacs still boot into OS 9 for the exact reason that your company doesn't want to upgrade.

Why would they switch from Mac to PC instead of from Mac to Mac? They'd have to spend more money to come up with computers with the same features as the eMac even, and they couldn't use their existing software at all. It makes much more sense to go from old(er) Mac to new Mac than from Human to Denizen of Hell.

The site I posted above seems to be down, so click here for Google's cache of the site (though links may not work).

Back