Trying to send a client a .epub for approval. Mac is setting it for books

TuckerdogAVL

Registered
"Just simply," I need to send an ePub doc to a client via email. I download the ePub from my software program, like I have in the past. I drag or attempt to attach the ePub in email. It appears as a BOOKS epub. He can't open it. He's on a PC. Oh, did I mention? This worked prior to upgrading to Monterey 12.6.

How do I 'just simply' send an ePub - that is supposed to be universal - so he can open it?

Thanks.

A couple of ideas:
Do you have more than one eMail account? Try the other.
Another mail 'sender'? (Thunderbird for one)
Try WeTransfer or similar.

A different idea:
Can you convert the ePub to a pdf, then send it.

And I second using a different email OR use your email via the web site (i.e. @ mac using the iCloud site instead of Mail on your computer).

I couldn't send him the pdf as that doesn't send the file exactly as an ePub. PDFs are always sketchy at best.
Email needs to come from my business/company one (though I have used my gmail account in a pinch).
However, I will try signing onto that account directly vs using apple mail the next time. Good idea.

What did happen is that I made a copy for Kindle preview and I also sent the epub exactly as it showed up, but I turned off everything on my end that was all about Reading, Buying, Sharing, Saving, Starting automatically, Opening the Store, etc. on Books.

He was able to open the ePub no problem (though on a PC, and dragging to an Android, and the ePub automatically showed up as "BOOKS" for the icon. he didn't say if he attempted the kindle version. So, I assume it was turning everything off in BOOKS that helped. Or, there was a glitch and this was all just wasted time, which seems to be mostly the norm these days.

In any event, I'd still like to know how to get the BOOKS icon to not be the default, even though apparently the only way to do that is purchase an Epub reader app or remove the BOOKS app (and I do use it) to trick the MAC into not assuming anytime I try to share an Epub the person naturally has an Apple product.

All I know sometimes in 90s the ISPs must have gotten together to stop EPUB files from going though their email servers to stop ebook sharing! This could explain using a web portal might be better bet when sending this files! However to others end IP might block it too!

Last edited:
So just wondering. The zip thing was a work around but the op’s problem really shouldn’t exist. something In Monterey 12.6 is reading the ePUB as an application rather than a simple file. Is it a 12.6 bug?, is it an apple silicon issue?

have you found anything out elsewhere?

Back