Trying to set up a Windows XP wireless print server to host Macs - Absolute NIGHTMARE

Atomic.Fusion

Registered
One time I had it going. I don't know what I did that was any different. But now, forget about it. It simply is not going to happen.

I purchased a used LaserJet. I want to set up my Windows laptop (old) as a wireless print server.
It just won't do it. If I hook up a Mac to be the wireless print server, Immediate results, not a glitch. Works every single time. Problem is that I can't use a Mac as the print server. I have a Dell laptop, and it worked once, but I can't get it to work again, with another printer. Problem seems to be the network -- that always seems to be my problem with Windows systems. Networking is the biggest joke that Microsoft ever sold me.

I can't figure out if I'm missing something. I install and share the printer in Windows. I have set up a Windows workgroup and network.
I install a new printer in OS X. Select Windows, then navigate to the printer in the column box. Here seems to be the Windows gimmick magic with networking. Sometimes the printer appears, sometimes it doesn't, even though the computer's name and workgroup come up every time. The blasted printer does most of the time.

Is there something that anybody knows that might help my situation?

Back