Trying to understand the Public folder...

themacko

Barking at the moon.
I like to share a lot of pictures, mp3s and other stuff with my family back in Minnesota. I've just been putting everything on my iDisk which has worked out decently, but it could be easier in a few respects.

I have heard that you can open up the 'Public' folder so it will act as sort of a webserver. I haven't been able to find much info about this, could someone explain to me how exactly this works and how one would go about setting it up?

Good question Scott...I was just gonna post something similar to that...I've been meaning to set up something like that but didn't know how. Hopefully someone has an answer...

*bump*

One thing that was left a bit ambiguous was whether you meant the public folder on your iDisk, or the public folder in OSX. It'd be helpful to know which one you're talking about! :)

Sorry 'bout that. I mean the Public folder in OS X. In system preferences you have the option to start file sharing using the Public folder and to start web sharing using the Sites folder.

I'm just wondering how exactly this works, before I go do anything to mess up my comp. Like,

Do I need to add users for people to login, or can anyone go in there and download, or even upload? Can my family who all use Windows access this?

How do they access it? I imagine by my IP, but I'm on Airport wireless and it (Sys Preferences) says my IP is 10.0.1.34. That can't be right.

I also have the option to turn on FTP access, that would be cool too. But what's the difference between file sharing and ftp access?

Okay I think I understand .. can Windows users access my Public folder as well? I would really only use this option for my family and friends .. and non of them use a Mac.

I think you might be getting a bit confused between the Public folder and the Sites folder. The Public folder is used for file sharing as other have said, and indeed you can connect across TCP/IP, but it's a pretty slow way of sharing photos. The Sites folder on the other hand, is used to a site on the internet.

Just put html files and images etc in the sites folder, turn on web sharing in the sharing control pane, and anyone can access the web site by going to http://youripaddress/~username/

That's what web sharing is, and what I think you were wondering about initially.

Others have suggested using FTP and SSH. They both have big security implications unless you do it right (someone can correct me on that). I wouldn't use SSH (remote login) at all, and FTP seems a big risk for what you get in your situation. I think web sharing is the safest and easiest option for everyone.

My two cents!

Question: What security problems if any are there with web sharing? From what I can tell ssh is pretty secure and I've heard from my linux friends that ftp is a big security breach but is there anything that a reasonable hacker (or my nosey friends) could do to me through the web sharing? Is it more or less secure than ssh?

Koelling: web sharing is only as secure as apache, which is the web server used in OSX. i believe that apache is very very secure (compared to, eg IIS).

telnet and ssh are also fairly secure, but telnet is unencrypted and ssh is encrypted, making it a much more desirable option to protect yourself from insecure networks, packet sniffers and such. this doesn t mean that telnet server has security holes, it just means it is not proactive about security. ssh is better. use it.

so your questoin: is web sharing more secure than ssh/telnet? yes. apache has very limited access to the system, and it is limited in what files it can execute. telnet/ssh gives you almost unlimited access to the system. you can create files execute code, all sorts of things, with ssh/telnet that you cannot do with apache.

iconcow: ssh and ftp are pretty secure. i don t think the risk is that big. note that there is ftp and then there is sftp. ftp is to telnet as sftp is to ssh. use sftp. it is encrypted.

themacko: there is one way that windows users could access these public folders: buy third party software for the windows users, like PCMacLAN.

you could also install samba on your mac, and tell it to share out ~/Public Folder, so that windows users can see your public folder through their network neighborhoods (if they are on your LAN they can still connect if they are not, it just won t show up in network neighborhood)

OK, so to reiterate what testuser iconcow said: ~/Public Folder is for file sharing over AFP, and ~/Sites is for web serving. each option has its advantages and disadvantages, so it depends on what you want to do. ssh and ftp are other options that have oher advantages.

i think themacko just wanted to do simple websharing in his public folder...

while you have all given him good answers for some cool stuff (ssh, ftp, etc.) it may all be a bit of overkill...

IMHO iconcow's solution is the least painful and closest to his original goals.

i think themacko just wanted to do simple websharing in his public folder...

while you have all given him good answers for some cool stuff (ssh, ftp, etc.) it may all be a bit of overkill...

IMHO iconcow's solution is the least painful and closest to his original goals.

Back