Trying to Update Imac to Panther

bethanyida

Registered
i am currently running my little G3 imac DV on OS 10.2.8, and have been trying to update to 10.3 (panther). i'm required to update my firmware using 4.1.9 updater. i attempt to start the firmware at restart (like the directions state) but it tells me that it was unsuccessfully installed.
So, i read on this site that another mac user had the same problem, and was told to run the firmware with the "extensions" off.
I then restarted in OS 9 with the extensions off, then restarted with the program button pressed. it did the same thing as usual. so...? do i attempt to restart the computer, holding the shift key and the program button at the same time? ( i did, and it did nothing)

I suppose the question is... can anyone help me upgrade this little imac? it's sort of sad to buy an upgrade that seems to be useless.
thanks in advance.

Once you heard the long beep from holding down the programmer button, did you let it go? You have to let go of that button once you hear the beep tone.

WHat's supposed to happen is that you will see an unnamed dialog box with a progress bar. Once that progress bar finishes, the Mac will reboot and it will tell you whether it worked or not.

after the long beep, i do let the button go. the computer restarts and then tells me that it did not update the firmware.

I have followed the instructions, and for some reason it won't upgrade the firmware.

is there something i'm missing?

thanks

You're supposed to let go the moment you start hearing the beep. If you continue to hold it down during the beep then it won't work. That happened to me once before when updating an iMac.

ok.
so i attempted to restart again, holding the button in only until the beep started. i tried this with the extensions on and off. it stated the same thing, that the firmware was not updated... any other suggestions?

Hmm....peculiar.

Are you sure you have the proper firmware for that iMac? What color is that iMac DV and what speed? Did you download the firmware directly from Apple's website?

I have an Apple iMAC DV Special Edition Snow PPC G3 500 MHz. I downloaded my firmware directly from apple's site. the firmware is 4.1.9, and it seems to be the correct one for slot loading imacs.

perhaps there is a different firmware? i'm at a loss..

any ideas?

according to mactracker you do have the right firmware updater but looking at apple support your problem might be that you should be booting from os 9.1. in order to update the firmware have a look here (below the dloads)

so if you're us 9.0 you should be upgrading to 9.1 to start off with,
Hope this helps

I am attempting to run the updater from OS 9.2. And for some reason it will not work, even when i follow their instructions exactly.

any ideas?

Back